Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Avid (model C+)

12 posts in this topic

Posted

post-503-0-57722000-1397527823_thumb.jpg

Posted

BTW - that is the hangar in California I picked it up from.  My hangar isn't neat and pristine, but it isn't full of garbage (although I wish I'd snagged that set of floats on the back wall).

Mark

Posted

Nice plane Mark. Could you tell us more about it?

Posted

That paint job really caught my attention - looks good Mark.

Thanks, EDMO

Posted

Those floats look like a set I have up here in Mn.  I don't plan to use them myself......  Jim Chuk

Posted

It's a 1989 kit, mostly a Model C.  The original builders were in their 70's when they started it, and finished it in 1991.  They had always wanted to build a plane, and decided they had better get it done!.  It was generally well built.  They ground looped it at some point, and rebuilt the tail with the round style tail that I think started with the MkIV.  They didn't install any elevator trim, however.  It has 582, original gray head.  It only has about 100 hours total - I did get it overhauled when I bought it 5 years ago since it had been sitting in that hangar for over 10 years.  Runs great.  I installed a com radio and transponder after I bought it.

One of the builders names was Charles Lindbergh, so guess who's name went first as the manufacturer on the web site?

Runs great, flys pretty good, the few times I've been up with an instructor.  It is very much a handful on asphalt landing, so I've not yet had the courage to take it up myself.  I also have a Cherokee 235, so I get to fly even though I'm chicken.

I also rebuilt the brake pedals to have the Matco recommended 2.5 to 1 geometry, installed a master switch, and various other minor updates and fixes.

The fabric is going to get redone this summer.  I'll install some sort of elevator trim while I'm doing that.  If I can find the parts, I'll convert it to trigear, to make it more manageable on the asphalt runways I have available.  The fabric has 24 years of hangar rash, repairs to various penetrations, etc, and is getting a little stretchy.  I haven't decided on a new paint job yet, but just replicating this current one the best plan I have so far.

I might want to talk to you about those floats Jim.  I really would like to find some amphib floats - that would solve my float itch and the nosegear itch at the same time, but the cost is pretty high for those.

Empty weight on the data plate is 450, and they upped the gross to 1050 - they were both big guys, I don't know how they both got into the cockpit to be honest.  I'm an FAA standard passenger, and the instructor I fly with is about the same, so with the two of us and full fuel/oil it is about 900-950 lbs, and it takes off like a scalded cat.  The first take off was quite a surprise.  I was used to 'traditional' Pipers, Cessna's, etc.  Push the power in, check the gauges, then sit back and wait for speed to get high enough to take off.  In this one, it was push the power in, FLY THE DARN PLANE!

Mark

Posted

If it is squirrely on those tires, check the wheel alignment.  It should be easy to land with those tires.  I cant tell from the picture, but do you have the wide gear on it?  if not, that is about the single biggest improvement that you can do for it!

:BC:

Posted

No wide gear - standard out of the kit gear on this one.   I plan to check the wheel alignment if it ever warms up around here.  We got an inch of snow yesterday, which may not be  much for you Alaska folks, but it is too late for that stuff in the middle of Illinois!

Mark

Posted

go fly it off the snow, if there is packed snow or ice on the runway you wont even notice if the gear is out of alignment :lol: 

A lot of the guys don't seem to mind the narrow gear.  I run big tires so I hated it.  The wide gear makes it a piece of cake on the ground.

Posted

Nice looking plane Mark, looks like you have the MKIV cowl as well. looks a lot better than the old A-C cowl that I currently have. do you have any pics of the inside by chance? panel? Having flown a narrow gear Skyraider I would second the motion to just put a wide gear on it and learn to fly the tail dragger the way it was intended rather than put the nose gear on. I think you will be happier in the long run. to put on the nose gear you have to do a bit of welding which would be no problem with the fabric off if you choose this route. FWIW I'm currently working on converting the wide bungee gear from Ridge Runner to fit my Avid. Its just a bit wider/ higher than Brett's gear and it keeps the bungees which I prefer to the springs. Its mostly a direct fit for the main gear just have to fab up my own cabane V which should be pretty easy. good luck with your new bird

-Robert-

Posted

go fly it off the snow, if there is packed snow or ice on the runway you wont even notice if the gear is out of alignment :lol:

A lot of the guys don't seem to mind the narrow gear.  I run big tires so I hated it.  The wide gear makes it a piece of cake on the ground.

No doubt I wouldn't notice the alignment, since every time there is snow or ice around here it comes with 20-30mph winds.  I've joked I really don't need an engine for this plane in the spring here, just a rope to tie it to the flagpole......

Mark

Posted (edited)

Mark -

What tail wheel setup do you have? Looks like a single leaf w/Matco wheel in the pic. An effective solution might be the Screaming Eagle TW. Pic of one on a sold in Barnstormers:

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/screaming-eagle-tailwheel-s/20.htm

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/screaming-eagle-tailwheel-s/20.htm

I would contact these folks and consider this upgrade. This setup looks like it would nip that short coupled, challenging feeling on the ground.

My ser # is 955. Looks just like yours.

Edited by allonsye