Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tricycle gear information

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is a diagram of the tricycle structure that was in my MK-IV, and some pictures before I removed it. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I had to use an ipad to take them.

The dimensions are as accurate as I could measure them. If you want to use this to make a tricycle gear, you can double check the dimensions the dimensions that already exist on your plane to see how they compare to those on the diagram.

Avid Flyer MK-IV tricycle gear dimensions revised.pdf

(note: I had some dimensions that were wrong on the first version of this. Please use the file ending in "revised")

post-760-0-54176700-1397537499_thumb.jpg

post-760-0-05968400-1397537539_thumb.jpg

post-760-0-12192000-1397537555_thumb.jpg

post-760-0-02049300-1397537645_thumb.jpg

post-760-0-01414200-1397538181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luked

Posted

Why did remove that structure? It adds tremendous value to your plane. I see you said "before I removed it" but if that was a typo and you haven't removed it yet I urge you not to. You never know if the guy you may end up selling the plane to might want to convert it to Tricycle gear. Those weldments are a huge bonus if your plane came with one (not all Avids did) and add considerably to the resale value.

Just sayin.....

Posted

Hi Chris,

I actually removed it shortly after taking those pictures. I know some would prefer to leave it. There were several reasons I wanted to remove it though. For one, I wanted to save a little weight. I also want to change the front structure a little to add a seventh motor mount point at the bottom edge of the firewall. Also, I didn't like the way the socket hangs down below the bottom of the plane in front.

In the end, I think it may decrease the value a little, but my plane will never be worth that much anyway. For one, it's going to have a non-standard engine. I'm really building it for my own fun, and cheap flying. I won't have that much into it when I'm done. If I ever sell it, I probably won't even get all of that back, but that's okay as long as it serves it's purpose while I have it.

Luke D.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Luke,

200% agreement - Do your own thing - Don't let others distract you - It's your plane and your call.

Keep it FUN!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Guys, I added the diagram to my original post above.

Posted

Well, I'm not sure how I did it, but some dimensions on the first version of my diagram were wrong. I noticed it when I was measuring some other stuff on the plane. I've updated it, and I think they are all correct now. Sorry about that.

Luke D.