Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need nose gear or plans

36 posts in this topic

Posted

I need either a new nose gear or plans to build one for my Avid Flyer Mark IV

post-702-0-39775300-1397593626.jpg

Posted

If you don't have the nose gear tube welded in, you might consider this nose gear.  It is the later Kitfox style nose gear.   It was mounted on an Avid MK IV.  I never flew with it, it came with my last MK IV that was set up as a taildragger when I got it.  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-67257300-1397594729_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Boat,

There has to be more to the story?  Did your plane have one?  What happened?

ChrisB is the one with most experience.  I sent sketches of the spring-loaded attachment to Steve N166???, I think -

Chris had one on his old plane, and now has a custom-built on his new plane.  I have one.  They are no longer made.

For the stock Avid, I donno.  I have parts and plans for two different custom ones for my Foxy, but wont fit yours.

EDMO 

Do you have the mains set for nose gear?

Amienoel put one on her plane.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Perhaps the picture didn't come through on the post.  I may need to replace the nose gear on the Avid - the gear worked fine and I would like to replace it with the same gear if either one is available someplace or someone has the original plans to build one from

Posted (edited)

I see the photo of a normal-looking Yellow nose-dragger - Why do you need to replace the nose gear if it works fine?  These nose gears are fairly scarce.  Just trying to help.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I didn't realize you were showing a picture of your plane.  Thought it was just a picture of an Avid to illustrate what you were talking about.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

Is that a custom cover on the yellow Avid, or does someone sell them?

EDMO

Posted

Ed,  I don't understand what you are asking me... Jim Chuk

Posted

Guess I should have asked the owner about the cover on the yellow Avid - wanted to know if it was commercial or homemade.

EDMO

Posted

The cover is a "stock" "lightweight" (5 lbs) cover from Bruce's Covers for the Avid.

I need the nose gear because the one on the Avid was bent while towing it through some grass that had a deep rut from a mower.

Posted (edited)

Only advice I can give is to remove yours and fix or make a duplicate, unless someone has one for sale. 

ChrisB bought a RANS Tundra fork and made his.

I've got a fork and pivot shaft for a Cessna 172, and a complete Piper TriPacer setup, and no idea of how close it would be to yours.

Thanks for the info on the cover.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Since I'd like to make a nose gear for mine (and also new main gear, since they are different for a nose gear configuration), depending on where you are at I'd be happy to help get the measurements and maybe make some drawings.

I'm in central illinois, but travel for business a lot, so wherever you are may work at some point.

Mark

Posted

The "Builders Manual Part 3" online in the forum has a drawing for the front fork and mains on page 5.

Posted

I should mention that my nose-gear is not sprung, but is steerable by a bell-crank attached to the rudder peddles.

Posted

Thanks for the tip on the manuals. Unfortunately, they won't open after I download them.  Adobe complains the document root is missing or invalid.  Sigh, it has been that kind of day.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Mark,

Maybe someone can get it and post it for you on Files and Forms?

EdMO

I just tried and it wont open for me either!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

my friend Max has a couple of original Avid Nose forks. He might be willing to let one go. I need to get him on this board.

Posted

Does your original nose fork have the doubler installed? That was something everyone was supposed to do that strengthened it considerably.

Posted

ChrisB,

What is the diameter of the pivot tube - Not the support tube -  I am still looking for a chrome tube.

EDMO

Posted

Mark,

EdMO

Yea, I looked at the downloaded pdf file, and somewhere in the various moves of the forum, they were transferred between systems with FTP using Text mode instead of Binary mode, so the end of line characters go messed up.

Some characters that looked like end of line but weren't got wacked too, so reversing that process doesn't solve the problem.  I'll try to salvage them in my spare time, but if someone has useable copies it will be a lot faster to repost them.

Mark

Note - this is not a criticism of the forum in any way shape or form!  Just a statement of what is wrong.   Nobody appreciates more than I do the amount of effort and sacrifice that goes with maintaing/hosting a forum like this!

Posted

Sorry guys, my laptop died but I have a copy of the manual on my computer at work... unfortunately, I wont be back at work for 2 more week so I wont be able to re-upload the files till then.  Joey, if you have them downloaded on your computer maybe you can swap the files out.

Mark, you sound like you know a little bit about computers, you want another job :lol:  The original files are probly in the data base, but I couldn't tell you how to change extentions etc.. That is above my paygrade and computer skillz.  I just pay people to fix it when the forum goes Tang Uniform...

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the tip on the manuals. Unfortunately, they won't open after I download them.  Adobe complains the document root is missing or invalid.  Sigh, it has been that kind of day.

Mark

Mark,

EdMO

Hey guys, I just opened the files on the wifes laptop.  Instead of saving them to your comuter, choose open files... then it opens just fine and you can THEN save the open fie to you comuter.. I don't know why it will open OK but not save right on a direct downoad.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Sorry Leni,

I think we both tried to "open" and it gives a "root missing" or similar error message - NO Can Do!  Not trying to download - don't even kno what that means.  I tried a long time ago and the files would not open for me then either.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

"Mark, you sound like you know a little bit about computers, you want another job  :lol:  "

I work on the all day long - that is why NO, I don't want another job!!! I get enough of this  :hammerhead:  all day long!  I play with airplanes, woodworking, metalworking, ANYTHING but computers after the work day is done!

Mark

1 person likes this