Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need nose gear or plans

36 posts in this topic

Posted

The nose gear I have to fix or replace is basically just a tube with a U shaped section for the wheel axle welded to it.

Posted

post-702-0-91572400-1397853631.jpgpost-702-0-33890300-1397853629.jpgpost-702-0-44038000-1397853634.jpgpost-702-0-53084700-1397853636.jpg

Posted

I have a nose gear, and the main gear that came with my Avid if you are interested. Let me know.

Rick

Posted (edited)

I just paid $400 for parts being machined for my nose gear - Your bent one may have been just about the same as the one I am making!  :lol:

EDMO

Well, I just corrected this on another post - That price included my strut fittings and threaded inserts.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Jim,

Is that a custom cover on the yellow Avid, or does someone sell them?

EDMO

That looks very similar to my "Bruce's Custom Cover" for my Kitfox.

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/general-aviation-models/avid/flyer-magnum-mk-4-etc

I enthusiastically endorse these and recommend them highly. IMO, the best covers on the market.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

My A&P was able to fix the original front fork and so far it seems to be working fine.

Posted

The cover is a Bruce's Custom Cover - Stock cover for an Avid Flyer MkIV

Posted

Boat,

There has to be more to the story?  Did your plane have one?  What happened?

ChrisB is the one with most experience.  I sent sketches of the spring-loaded attachment to Steve N166???, I think -

Chris had one on his old plane, and now has a custom-built on his new plane.  I have one.  They are no longer made.

For the stock Avid, I donno.  I have parts and plans for two different custom ones for my Foxy, but wont fit yours.

EDMO 

Do you have the mains set for nose gear?

Amienoel put one on her plane.

Does anyone know of anyone who has or will fabricate a nose gear for a mk14?

my #  404-409-5308  Jim in Florida

Posted (edited)

Jim,  I donno where his post went, but John "Fletchn" posted a guy's name and phone and he is making a nosegear set for John.  Also, John said he would get the guy on here and tell us about the gear he is making.  Photos too, I hope.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Does your original nose fork have the doubler installed? That was something everyone was supposed to do that strengthened it considerably.

Is the doubler on the lower part of the nose gear ? Mine on my mkIV is the normal set up with the u for the wheel to sit in and a couple of gussets that go on the u where it meets the down tube 

Posted

I finally measured and made my fancy drawing for a nose gear like mine . Pretty sure it's a stock one . Here's a photo of my awesome drawing . I'll be able to make these and powder coat them no problem . Anyone know the wall thickness ? 

20170604_114215.jpg