Airdale wide gear.

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Thoughts on going this route on my Mark 4.

Lighter than the Grove gear?

Doe's it stand up to off runway landings?

Thx Marv

Posted

I have it on my plane and have beat the crap out of it.  One thing I did do.. My plane was on its back twice before I got it do to the stock gear folding up.  I got to take that trip in my brothers kitfox as well (he was flying I was just along for the ride).  I will dig up the thread on how I reinforced the gear leg to get away from the cracking issues (I hope).  I would not hesitate to go with the wide gear, but I thought it was standard on the MK IV..

:BC:

Posted

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1153-gear-leg-safety-cable/?p=6853

This shows where the gear legs tend to break right at the toe of the weld where the diagonal comes in and the bungees are wrapped around it.  I ground off the tab on the end of the cross tube the bungees wrap around and slid another tube inside a couple inches past that weld zone, then welded the tab back on. 

I looked at both the failed gear legs that were on mine, and at the one on my brothers kitfox and they all broke at this same point.  I make it  part of my pre-flight to look at this area to make sure there are no visible signs of cracking.  I also moved the safety cable as shown on the drawing to assure that if / when it does break, the cable will still be useful.  The cable at the stock location does nothing for you when the gear breaks at that weld.

:BC:

Posted

I see your PDF drawing of the weld that tends to fail.  A picture of that location would clarify things a ton. Could I bother you for a picture with a finger pointing to the trouble location. 

Posted

I wonder if a gusset at the intersection of the diagonal brace and the horizontal gear member would make that less likely to crack?  Not that an over sleeve doesn't accomplish it.  I would seem to me that a break there would just cause the open angle between the main gear leg and the horizontal member just to open up and collapse.  

gear leg.pdf

Posted

Gusset was my plan as well

Posted

I wonder if a gusset at the intersection of the diagonal brace and the horizontal gear member would make that less likely to crack?  Not that an over sleeve doesn't accomplish it.  I would seem to me that a break there would just cause the open angle between the main gear leg and the horizontal member just to open up and collapse.  

gear leg.pdf

I believe Leni said he used an INSERT tube and not an over tube.

EDMO

2 people like this