Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Norman building an ultralight

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Agreed.. but the beauty of the country is if you want to go build something to kill yourself in, well, we can do it.. Not saying that it is smart, but its a right we still have.  With that wing and 30 HP I am betting it wont get out of ground effect, but what the heck, it stands a better chance than the guy in Kenya has!  :BC:

We are spose to be smarter than the average dog and have the ability to learn from others mistakes.. but how many kids EVER listen to their parents when we are trying to save them from making the same damn mistakes we did... multiple times :lol:  I hope he dont get hurt trying to fly it, but every back yard design that has flown and created the ultralight movement was done by guys that more than likely had never designed a plane before, they just wanted to make something that would fly.  Some were successful, but others have not been.

I would say more pilots have been killed flying proven, certified designs than those killed flying a back yard built ultralight made out of duct tape, tent poles and EMT with a tarp for wing skins.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

He may have somewhat copied a design - but the proof is in the flying - I would like to see him fly the pattern and land, before getting his hopes up.  Any word on "Kenya Aircraft"?  Anyone invested in the stock?  :lol:

EDMO

Posted

I think the guys southern accent and the story angle from the press has everyone thinking he is a backyard hack.

What I see looks like a well engineered ultralight vehicle. I think he said it weighs just over 100Lb. If that is true he has accomplished amazing feat. From what I saw on the video the workmanship is exceptional.

I've only looked at the links posted here so that is all I am basing my opinion on.

The giant water crossing dream seems a bit far fetched, but who knows?

Time will tell if it actually flies or if it turns out to be a joke.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well it seems that Leni is right about how much freedom you guys are enjoying over the states, don´t want to open a can of worm here about political views, but this kind of government attitude really piss me off; and this builder is by no means A JOKE, his works seems very legit... 

I`m afraid I will have same luck with the Swedish Authorities if I do the same over here, so guys enjoy while you can!!!

Regards

Dimi3

Edited by Wolverine