Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel tube between header tanks aka flux capacitor!

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I think my previous owner purchased a tubing bender for the first time and decided to get really fancy! Problem is, I think the upward bends could be a really great way to get air trapped in the lines. The 45 degree fittings should be pointed down shouldn't they?

The PO was also kind enough to Hysol the fittings in place for me. what can I use to get the fitting out? Acetone?

Thanks,

Ronpost-545-0-11654900-1399149026_thumb.jpg

Posted

I don't like the upward runs in it.  It does add to the possibility of trapping air, but I would not say for certain that it would be detrimental.  As far as hysol.. a heat gun will soften it right up and let you take it apart.  Twin header tanks.. I have not seen that before.  I wonder if he was just going to the extra 15 minutes worth of fuel capacity :dunno: 

Did he have them run that way to clear the flaperon push tubes when the wings are folded out?  That is the only reason I can think of to have them in that configuration. 

I would have 45 down then 45 back to the straight run for the tee.

:BC:

Posted

or just eliminate one and go back to the original plumbing design.  I'll 2nd leni on on the heat gun I've used this technique several times and it works great

Posted

The Magnum came with two from Avid...

You are right, the fittings come out at about the same height as the horizontal flaperon tubes. I've got some pics of other Magnums that probably show how to get around it...I'll post them for the next guy, when I find them.

Thanks for the heat gun trick!

Ron

Posted

Found it! No upward fitting, so it must clear it...post-545-0-73913600-1399161355_thumb.jpg

Posted

My bad, I was not thinking magnum.. but I still don't like them looping back up like that.  the only place it should go back up is on the other side of the firewall to get to the carb.

Posted (edited)

The PO was also kind enough to Hysol the fittings in place for me. 

^^^ That made me laugh!

I wonder if the information in this recent post would help:

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1960-hysol-info/?p=19898

Edit: Now I see that Leni already mentioned using heat.

Edited by Luked

Posted

Leni: no worries, you had me second guessing the two header tanks for a second there!

Luke: the PO left me all kinds of Hysol presents!

Thanks to both of you for the heat tip!

Posted

I would keep both headers, however, I would flip the fittings to 45* down. I do not like the looks of that potential air trap. Not sure what benefit the tubing connector between header tanks provides, is it shown that way in the Magnum manual?

Posted

I think the connector between the two is the main feed line to the carb or gascolator.  The only bugger is with the pick up that far off the bottom of the header, if it goes dry and you switch tanks, it make take a bit to get the fuel to the carb.  Low level this could be a real bugger if you let it happen.

Posted

I heated the Hysol'd fittings today and they twisted right out! Thanks for that tip!

Yes, I agree that the 45s going down is the best option for all the reasons mentioned. The do both combine and run forward to the fuel shutoff valve and then through the firewall to the engine.

Thanks again for all the help! It is great being able to find answers to these questions! It is nice not having to reinvent the wheel with every road bump!