Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aluminum - Paint or Not?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

When I went to get .025 material for my flaps and ailerons, they only had 6061T6 for the one set, and ALCLAD 2024 for the other set - I forget now which is which set.

Question:    I planned to Alumi-prep, alodine, and paint the 6061, but am unsure about doing the same to the Alclad 2024, since the Alclad coating is so thin, I am wondering if this is better or worse than just using it without painting?  

I don't care if the two sets don't match.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, see that you got crickets on this question.  You probably know more about aluminum than most of us. 

We had our last EAA meeting at one member's Glastar project.  He was using a neat aluminum coating wash that almost looked like a gold anodizing when it was done.  I didn't write it down but think it may have been a Martin Senior product.  JackAk may remember or I could ask at the next meeting if I remember too.

Posted

Sounds like he Alodined it.  When you do the Alodine right it will give it a nice golden brown finish, but you have to top coat it.

We have been talking to the guys at Napa and decided to go with the crossfire self etching epoxy primer on our new aluminum as that is what the rest of the aircraft shops around here have been doing.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

The self-etching epoxy primer is what my body-shop friend said to use.   Guess I will be buying more alodine.

My corrosion book said that the cut edges, and rivet holes, of the Alclad 2024 are open to corrosion, but no one seems to know how to seal them without painting - so, guess these are going to get painted too.

Thanx Leni,

EDMo

BTW:   I forget the exact numbers, but the 1200 Alodine give a gold or brown-gold finish, depending on the metal,  and the 1000 Alodine is clear or frosted (or not gold) finish.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

hope you dont need much.. we got quoted 489 a gallon here local...

Posted

Dollars?  That's crazeee!

Did they say you could use the self-etching primer without alodine?

EDMO

Posted

yes they said we don't need to alodine it, just a scotch bright then MEK or acetone wipe down.  If you go to the Vans RV forum you will get a TON of info on the guys painting aluminum.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanx Leni,

That sounds great - back when I was in school, we had to go out and find roots, wild berries, beets, and grind them up with two rocks to make our warpaint!  :lol:

EDMO

I was also told that it works equally as good on steel.

The guy who is going to paint the Luscombe after rebuilding says he has a paint that is better than - Oh hell, my mind just went blank - That slick paint that GM brought out a few years ago - IMRON :huh:? - must be getting old?

Havent heard the name of the new paint - but bet it is not healthy to spray!

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

What he was using sounds more like what you described Leni; it was a self etching coating for aluminum and left it with a nice gold finish.

Posted

Randy, I'm pretty sure "wash prime" is what was used on the plane we looked. Stewart Systems also has a pretty good method for etching then painting aluminum. They have videos that you can watch on u-tube.

Jackak

Posted (edited)

Update on this old post:  I took care of the painted aluminum flaps and ailerons problem - I am covering wood ribs with fabric!  Still got a couple of baggage and battery doors to paint, but those are easier.   

Now covering Flaps with fiberglass and ailerons with fabric.  END of thread, I guess?   Cheers,  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO