Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LED Mini-spotlights

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Saw a lot of LED mini spotlights for motorcycles on ebay for sale - no size listed - anyone know how big and how much light they produce?   Thinking about recognition lights using them.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey ED; I saw this on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Car-Truck-LED-Eagle-Eye-Emergency-Warning-Flash-Strobe-Lights-Lamp-Bulbs-White-/161296307734?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258e025616&vxp=mtr

I currently have the square bulky on the sides windows behind the pax and pilot and I would like to replace them with this ones, not that I Want to fly in pitch dark and hoping this is the solution, but just to make myself visible in high traffic areas, should be easy to install and doesn´t cost much.....

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-08509000-1407583131_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Dimi,

I have a pair of those square lights from Crazed Pilot - see his site -  planning to put them in my wingtips for wig-wag lights.   The ad for the truck strobe lights says, "DOES NOT SHIP TO UNITED STATES"???

Thanks,

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey ED;

hmmm.... well that´s stupid really!!! no shipping to the US, I guess it´s about right for distribution or something, mine are also from Crazed pilot website, one of the first models, now he has different models, this ones failed after very little hours of operation, they light constantly, but not as strobes, I checked the LED controller and there was poorly done, I try to fix them but it´s really cheap to spend time on them.

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Just guessing - maybe this has something to do with Mr. Puttin and Mr. Oh Bummer's little spat?

EdMO

Posted

A while back I got a bunch of fire alarm strobes and used 2 on the Avid.  I meant to take pics today before I replied but didn't get the pics.   They are like what is used in a hospital or school fire alarm system.  Even though they are for use in buildings, they use 12 volts to power them however so they work fine in an Avid.  Not as bright as Whelen strobes, but better than nothing by a long shot.  Just went out to the garage and shot a few pics of what I'm talking about.  Actually I had 2 different kinds of these strobes.  Red ones are brighter.  If you talk to an electrician that's working on a remodel job where they are redoing the fire alarm systems, maybe you can get a few for free.  That's how mine came about.  Jim Chuk 

PS  on my avid when I installed mine, I cut a hole in the side of the turtle deck just big enough for the clear lens to fit through, one on each side.   Made them easy to wire up there also. 

post-329-0-22352200-1407641596_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-40791600-1407641626_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-35230000-1407641652_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-28208800-1407641671_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I found a set of 6 strobes with variable controller at auto zone - battery powered, but also 12 volt.  don't have a photo - they have long wires and are clear stick-on little domes that you could put anywhere.  Price was near $30 tho.  Didn't try them for brightness.

Did you notice that the price on the truck strobe lights went from $12.xx to $22.xx for the U. S. version - shipping for $1.95 is good tho.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm tinkering with using some 12 volt strobes that I've removed from some police cars. I believe they are whelen strobes. The cars had bulbs in the head lights and the tail lights. I just need to figure out how to put a lens cover over the bulbs. I've removed at least 8 complete units, maybe more than that. I even have a new set of aircraft directional strobes from whelen that i could use. It seems after looking at them they are interchangeable with the car units as well. Since my Avid was needing the wings covered, I ran the wires in the left wing and have not deceided if I'm going to use the directionals or the just put the cars strobe bulbs in it. I just need to find some sort of lens cap for them. They are super bright and you can vary the flash program on them from the number of flashes to flashing together or separately. The plus to all this is, I could add up to a total of 4 flashers to my plane.

Wild Bill

Posted

One thing I would mention about the whelen strobes, is they take quite a bit of power.  At least the aircraft ones do, and I would imagine that the car ones would be at least as bad in that reguard.  The charging system may not be able to handle that much current draw.  Something to concider at any rate.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this