Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Matco vs Maule

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I know everybody with a Matco won't go back to Maule. Right? I went out tonight and did some high speed taxi practice on a friends pasture strip. Pretty rough. I run the maule with the lock/release cam removed. That helped a lot when things are not going straight. Anybody notice huge handling improvement going to the Matco? I'm carrying extra weight for my soob up front. Had to really get beefy with the springs to take the lickin. Double spring, extra heavy duty.post-232-0-03135200-1399263403.jpeg

Edited by IFMT

Posted

Looks like you have the good Maule TW with the larger, inflatable tire.  Wish I had that instead of the little hard wheel.

Posted

I like the handling of the 8" matco.  It soaks up the bumps better and it does not dig in when your playing in the soft stuff.  That said, I wish I would have gone with the dual arm not the single arm.

I made an extended bar for the TW chains to attach to on the rudder so I could get more throw, but the tail spring is so tall when set to the correct angle that the chains are at a stupid angle and I loose most of the steering anyway.  I need to make a new bar that will drop the chain attach point down a couple inches to give me better geometry on the chains and that should help the steering a BUNCH. 

The tail wheel you have is not a bad one, I just like wider so I dont have an anchor digging in on the soft stuff.

:BC:

Posted

I started with the 6" hard tire Maul and then went to the 8" pnumatic tire Maul; that is a vast improvemetn and does pretty well.  After several years I bought the 8" wide tired Matco and have been flying it for the past couple of years.  There is not much difference in the hard stuff since myMaul always handled fine and unlocked just like it was supposed to (unlike experiences others have had with them) but like Leni said, the Matco wide tire really helps it stay on top of the soft sand.  landing in that sand it is funny to see the Maul TW's; in fact you can't see them at all, just a rooster tail of sand.

Posted

I am thinking about the Matco 8" and wondering how it handles the pavement, I fly off of it most of the time.

Posted

no problems on the pavement that I have noticed.  Other than I don't feel and hear every crack in the black top anymore!

:BC:

Posted

:PWell that's a problem I can live with.

1 person likes this

Posted

The big wide tire slows the tail down quite a bit on pavement. You can also run it completly flat and barely notice it. I went thru 4 flats on my 7" pneumatic one before I tossed it. The 8" is a tubeless Carlisle tire. I am on my 3rd tailwheel set up and the 8" "wide" dual fork Matco has been by far my favorite. I hated my Maule set up.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ordered one this evening.  Found some interesting places to land that it will come in handy.  Also planning a trip to Johnson Creek and the likes this summer.

Posted

Hi guys! :) When I bought my bush gear, I also bought the dual leaf spring drilled for the Matco. This one will work? I hate that solid Maule. Sounds like the plane is going to come apart.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/matcom.php

Posted (edited)

The Matco will bolt right on where the Maule was. Spend the money and get the dual fork. I prefer to deal with Matco directly. Chances are George Happ himself will answer the phone if you call. They are a small amazing staff and company. I've talked to them on the phone numerous times. Their website is not very user friendly but placing an order over the phone is simple.

Matco

Edited by C5Engineer