Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Treetop Landing

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I am not sure how to post this but if you look at the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman or the Anchorage Daily News, a guy landed his Taylorcraft in the top of the birch trees last Sunday out at Meadow Lakes.  The local electric company got him down from the plane in the bucket truck but the plane is in perfect flying position about 40' up in the trees.

Posted

Posted

Bet that was an expensive landing, chopper assisted.

Posted

I did that once with my radio controlled plane,had to climb the tree to get it down.Glad no one was hurt in this one.Randy

2 people like this

Posted

I did that once with my radio controlled plane,had to climb the tree to get it down.Glad no one was hurt in this one.Randy

That made me laugh... a few years ago I was flying my electric Tigermoth around the yard and a gust of wind put in a tree... I grabbed a saw and went to cutting the neighbors tree down.  While I had my head down cutting away, Akflyerbob pulled up and I didnt even see him.. luckly for me he caught the tree with his head and saved my tigermoth from a sure and certain death :lmao:  I will never forget the look on his face and the tree came down on him (what the hell was he doing standing in the road anyways)  :lol:  :lol:  I am not sure if he has forgiven me for that one yet :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Now another item needed in my survival bag.  100 foot let down rope.

2 people like this

Posted

Akflyer, You are qualified for a lot of things, but not for a lumberjack

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,   Please give us a damage report when you get to talk to the pilot.

EDMO

Posted

Akflyer, You are qualified for a lot of things, but not for a lumberjack

Never stand in the path when the guy with the saw has his back turned to you... but thanks for saving the tigermoth!  hahahahahahaha  I can still see that plain as day in my head.  :lmao:

Posted

Leni,   Please give us a damage report when you get to talk to the pilot.

EDMO

Ed, It sounds like a little fabric work and a couple ribs and he will be good to go.

:BC:

Posted

Well done. Plane pretty much intact and at least someone got some "tundra experience", landing in those shrubs.

A good pilot is one that has landed virtually ANYWHERE and on EVERYTHING, once. Glad the guy didn't get hurt.

Friend of mine put a deltawing in the trees and wasn't really dead until he scientifically proved that the human body is not generally known to survive hard impacts following long falls.

After his funeral, people kept repeating that they were glad that he died doing something he loved.

:wacko:

I wasn't there but I doubt he was screaming "Oh Heck, I love this!!!" while falling 65 feet, hitting every possible branch on the way down, before landing on his noggin and snapping his neck. Never made it to the hospital alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o40_MzuKIGA

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Loved the TreeTopFlyer video and music!

My wife and I do genealogy research for our families and published a book on her son's in-laws.

The oldest one in the family that we found was 103 years old, and had survived the Trail of Tears.

He was celebrating his birthday, got drunk and was dancing on the front porch - then fell off of it and broke his neck!

Guess he was doing what he enjoyed too!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri