Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starduster's last flights

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I'm getting ready to sell my Starduster Too. It has been fun and has gone through a transformation from a complete nightmare to a tame kitten. I bought it in 2007 and flew it from Wisconsin to Oklahoma and came closer to dying in it than in any of my military experiences! It had CG problems, too much weight on the Tailwheel, and all of the engine accessories took turns breaking on the long scarry trip home. To top it all off, the Tailwheel assembly had been damaged and was canted a degree or two to the side so every time I touched down I would hear a metal "clang", which was the Tailwheel going to it's limit and releasing, then the wild ride was on!

After I got her home I tore her apart. It took me 4 years to get her flying again and about the same amount of time to get me flying again because I had 5 back surgeries during this time. I used the project for my physical therapy, working for 15 minutes and then laying in an arm chair for 45 minutes and I would repeat that for as long as possible. So the progress was slow, but she started coming together! I did so many things to her that I can't list them all, but I'll attach a before and after pic.

I'm going to miss flying her and miss all the attention she draws. I always get a chuckle when my $23,000 plane gathers a crowd! I have met some cool characters in my travels in this plane, it seems that a biplane reminds everyone of early aviation and their love for it!

I have her in Colorado now and she struggles with the higher altitude because I have an O-320, most have an O-360 or bigger. However, my fuel bills are a lot smaller!

Anyway, I have to sell her so I can finish my Magnum project.

If you know anyone looking for a cheap biplane let me know.

Thanks,

Ron

Before

post-545-0-92911400-1399700816_thumb.jpg

After

Here is the short list...

New longer Engine mount, new longer Engine cowlings, new fiberglass turtledeck, all new fuel lines, complete new electrical harness. New instrument panel with GPS and other new instruments, electric elv trim, two cameras, new 78" ground adjustable prop for climb performance at high altitude, new vacuum pump, new fuel pump, new alternator, new Tailwheel, new gear leg spats, much more...

post-545-0-54690600-1399701170_thumb.jpg

Posted

Somebody destroyed my hard work!  I sold it in May of 2015.  I hope nobody got hurt!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

ouch.least he kept that pretty prop out of the dirt

Posted

What a shame. Looks like they over the river and through the woods with the plane....

Posted

damnit, that hurts! 

Posted (edited)

Did you get any story to go with the photos Ron?  Looks like about the right distance apart for fence posts?

Bet someone was crying in their beer over that one!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO