Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AN Hardware

21 posts in this topic

Posted

If a person were to need a bunch of AN hardware (bolts, nuts, washers, pins, etc.), who would your favorite supplier be and why?

Obviously AC Spruce is the 800# gorilla in the room for this, but who else would you use?  Fastenal or other fastener supply type of place?  Somebody else?

Thanks.

Posted

All the hardware supplied with my Avid+ kit came from www.spenceraircraft.com They will have everything you need at better than spruce prices.

Posted

I caught wind of a guy in our local area that is a retired United guy. These days he sits in his garage and sells hardware and tells stories. He has everything imaginable. I bought every bolt for my wings, struts, elevator, elevator struts, a ton of cotter pins, and some other miscellaneous stuff for $35. Can't beat that!

Posted

So he's financing his retirement by selling off the stuff he lifted from work one lunch-boxful at a time, huh...    :ididntdoit:

I need to find one of those around here!

Posted

So far Fastenal is kicking everyone.  I can get what I need, per piece cheaper than anyone else who has quoted me.  

I can afford to buy several of the pieces (nuts bolts and washers) in "box quantity" of 100 and still only have a couple of bucks more than per piece prices.  AN cotter pins come in boxes of 1000 for only $5-7 each.

(I will send the pricing spreadsheet I've made to anyone who asks for it.)

Posted

one of my flying buddies worked a Lockheed,..he has bins full of titanium bolts an hardware wire looms etc and solid rivets of all sizes

Posted

That's exactly what he's doing Larry!

So he's financing his retirement by selling off the stuff he lifted from work one lunch-boxful at a time, huh...    :ididntdoit:

I need to find one of those around here!

Posted

Well, not everyone can bring a Cadillac out of work like Johnny Cash, I worked for the railroad and some of th things I was told to through out in a dumpster found one a little closer to home, anyone need a two-stroke powered grinder? 

Posted (edited)

Well, not everyone can bring a Cadillac out of work like Johnny Cash, I worked for the railroad and some of th things I was told to through out in a dumpster found one a little closer to home, anyone need a two-stroke powered grinder?

It's the same everywhere - a guy I worked with got fired for walking out of Chrysler plant with a gallon of paint he took out of the dumpster - at the same time, a $51 Million plant clean-out and remodeling was going on and it all went out on a scrap train -

I later bought 5 gallon buckets of Chrysler tools and milling cutters and such from a local salvage seller for $25 a bucket!

When I worked for the Coast Guard, they scrapped new stuff every week - $$$$ of it!

Government and Military are the biggest wasters we have.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I know where there are 4 train car loads of suburbans, you just need an excavator to dig them up, We had a derailment on the Main line and they decided it would be quicker to bury them than to spend the time to haul them out. The Railroad wastes a lot of money on cargo because it costs too much to stop a coal train, or UPS.they Have a quarter million or more resting on multiple trains if they are late they are free and one derailment can cost millions in lost reveue before the track is back up.

Posted

I can add "the biggest polluters" to the government and military - there is a pit covered in concrete in Alaska where crates of machine guns and other stuff are buried. Fuel and chemicals are routinely buried at every military site.

EDMO

Posted

we are getting off topic, but where I was stationed in Germany the post sat atop an underground airport that still has WWII airplanes in it, they would take off and land through a tunnel and when we took it we just blasted most of the entrances closed and left it set.

Posted

there are buildings full of pickled military equipment near K-town not far from Ramstien

Posted (edited)

I was at the rock near Butzbach and Giessen Ayers Kasserne there are still a lot of bombed out factories around that area too.

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

When were you "old-timers" in Deutchland? I was there 60 to 62, when they closed the Berlin wall in August, 1961.

EDMO

Posted

lol ED I was there in 1977 spent some time at landstuhl general getting bolted back together :)

Posted (edited)

lol ED I was there in 1977 spent some time at landstuhl general getting bolted back together :)

I was mostly halfway between Nuremberg and Stuttgart - lots of traveling tho as courier - been all over Europe - Had fun sometimes - don't ever want to go back as a GI....You know that! Got our butts chewed royally for chasing a fox in a Bell H-13, and topped a hill and scared hell out of a farmers chickens - cost a lot of Uncles money for all the eggs he said he didn't get - typical BS!

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

in 62 I was in Japan,..left there in 64,..I was a kid then dad was survival trainer for airforce pilots,..if you remember the first throat mics,..my dad was one of the designers also

Edited by SkyPirate

Posted

I spent my first 4 years in the Airforce 99-03 at RAF Mildenhall in East Anglia England. During the height of WWII there was a base every couple of miles across that part of England. I went to a lot museums and was fortunate enough to see the Duxford Legends Airshow twice. I've spent quite a bit of time at Ramstein, Bitburg, Frankfurt, and Ktown as well. I'd love to get stationed in Germany.

Posted

I miss the food :) trying to remember the name of the club there,,,club Kazabra? across from PX in vogelweh?

Posted

I was there in the mid 80's, I was th company scrounge and drove everywhere around Europe to trade our extras for what we needed, I got run over by a new seargeant in a HUMMER in Grafenwehr and that did in my career, I have had a bad back ever since. I don't trust New York drivers either. I spent most of my time as an acting jack Sgt so I could have more influence while trading and they didn't have to pay. Spent many a weekend at the Topper club in Frankfurt.