Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Handheld transceiver

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all my dad has a KF1 and is looking for a new handheld he would like one that will use his existing antenna hopefully for extended range any advice would be greatly appreciated

Looped

Posted (edited)

My favorite is Sporty's New 400 - Big nav screen for VORs, All channels, weather, memory, etc. 8 AA batteries.

I have the old model, which is almost as good.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I have a sportys SP-200 (Nav-Com)  that has hardly any use one it.  It uses the 8 batteries also, but you can use an adaptor for ship's power.  I've never used it in a plane, I had a couple of Vertex Standards that I've had for years that I use.  I got the Sportys from a friend of mine that had dreams of flying but they never came about.  He passed a little less than a year ago.   I do like the Vertex Standards though.  They are a little smaller than the Sportys and have NiCad batteries.  Jim Chuk

PS  The Sportys has a standard antenna connection, that you can fit the small portable antenna to or a wire from an aircraft's antenna. 

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

I run an ICOM A-6 wired into the plane for power. I use a Push to Talk and a Pilot USA. The whole thing runs through an external antenna behind the turtle deck. I routinely talk to ATC on long cross countries and I can pick up our AWOS from 45 miles out. Not bad for a $300 Comm/Intercom system.

Posted

Thanks for the replys the setup that Joey has is what he wants ,something that works well and priced well . Thanks again

Posted

Looped I just clipped the radio to the left side of my panel with the belt clip and used some foam and velcro to hold it securely. It's powered by the C-20 DC cigarette lighter power supply. The PTT and intercom is sold by Pilot USA. The antenna was in the plane when I got it so not sure about a brand. The ICOM is pretty user friendly. I have all my frequently used frequencies pre-programmed in so I can just roll thru them with the knob on top.

Posted

Looped,  I sent you a private message yesterday.  Don't know if you noticed it or not.  I just discovered or maybe rediscovered and forgot where to look for private messages on this site.  It seems I had at least one that was a month old.  (sorry)  Look at the very top of the screen close to your name.  Thanks,  Jim Chuk

Posted

Looped,  I sent you a private message yesterday.  Don't know if you noticed it or not.  I just discovered or maybe rediscovered and forgot where to look for private messages on this site.  It seems I had at least one that was a month old.  (sorry)  Look at the very top of the screen close to your name.  Thanks,  Jim Chuk

You can also set your preferences to pop a window up whenever you log onto the site and you have a new message. 

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni,  I think I've got mine set now.....  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this