Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Verifying fuel tank size

3 posts in this topic

Posted

My airplane was originally a B model kit with speed wings. Halfway through the build the original builder bought a set of Hauler wings for it from somebody, after deciding against the speed wings. They have the factory tanks in them. I'm "assuming" they are 14 gallons a side like the books says. Were there any other variations out there that would lead me to believe otherwise? Also I have not touched them since I drained them for the recover. I want to flush them out before hooking them up to my system. Any thoughts on the best way to flush them without wasting 14 gallons of gas. I was thinking of filling them up with water to verify the quantity but not sure how long it would take for ALL the water to evaporate back out of the nooks and crannies in the bottom. I'm getting close to doing weight and balance and need to verify for my loaded CG calculations. Thanks as always.

Here's about the best pic I have of the uncovered wing

IMG_3605-2.jpg

Posted

Checked my Avid manual tank pictures, they look the same as yours. Three rib bays wide. I think these are 14 gallons.

Posted

Avid used two different f/g wing tank shapes with their 'fiberglass wrap' install method depending on the wing. I believe they were 14 gal for the Hauler/STOL rib profile and 18 gal for the Speed/Acrobat rib profile.