Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Skid Ball

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm starting to think my skid ball is causing some of my grief. The skid ball seems to always be off to the left when parked on the ground. I noticed when taxiing the other evening that if I straighten the ball while still on the ground it puts me into a gentle left turn. Going to check it by levelling the wings at the tips. I've got a cheap laser level that i'm going to set up and take a reference at the outside flaperon hinge. The way I have always levelled the plane for adjustments has been across the bottom of the door opening. This might be the root of my weird left turns, fuel emptying from the right tank first and who know what else. Don't get me wrong. The plane doesn't look bent but I'm starting to wonder if there is some subtle twist. Cheers B

Posted

mine flys with the ball slightly out of center.. The instrument was not put in the panel square so it always shows a slight skid when at rest and flying.  A fast check is to fly with the ball in the same place as it shows on the ground.  Now center the ball.  Watch the airspeed.  If you gain airspeed when you center it, you probly have a rigging issue.  If you loose airspeed when you center it, you need to rotate the instrument to get the ball in the center when at rest.

:BC: