Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Johnson Creek

31 posts in this topic

Posted

That sounds like a very cool trip!

...which of course never really happened unless proper and irrefutable pictoral documentation is posted (extra points for helmet cam video running rapids!).

Posted

Won't be doing the self support air shuttle this time, but my friends have helmet cams. I'll post links when they get video from the trip on line.

Posted

Alrighty then, a front row seat to dropping over a waterfalls like on your avatar would be most excellent!!

Posted

Both trips sound great Chris. Look for the red pickup a couple of miles south of Yellow pine in Johnson Creek.

Posted

Just got back last night. What an epic trip! 76 miles in 4 days and three nights. 

We did not float Johnson Creek this time. Johnson Creek only has two rapids. One at the beginning of the run upstream of the airstrip and one at the end. Two years ago we started at the airfield and floated Johnson Creek too, but it wasn't worth it. There was no pickup in the creek then. The only way we will float JC again is if starting from the airfield.

We started at the JC/East Fork South Fork confluence at Yellow Pine and floated from there to Carey Creek on the Main Salmon. The rapids were big and juicy the whole way. There are no waterfalls on this run, but some of the rapids on the EFSF and SF will set your hair on fire! It was spectacular. I will post a link to video when my friend gets it done if anyone is interested.

Yellow Pine now has spotty Verizon 1X service (voice and text only). The waitress at the restaurant told me it had been about 6 months. It was very handy to call home before we put on. 

FYI, a friend flew to the JC airfield about a month ago and said the WIFI was not working there at the time. He does not know the current status of WIFI at the airstrip for anyone planning to go. 

Posted

WIFI was working while we were there except during an area wide power outage.