Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Johnson Creek

31 posts in this topic

Posted

A few planes out of Casper are planning to head up to 3U2 on Tuesday June 12-16 for some camping and strip hopping. Anyone else headed up there at that time. Not sure if I will take the Avid this time looking like we will be in the Husky.

Posted

One of these years we are going to make the trek down there for the jc flyin.. But it's probly going to be a couple more years out before we can do it. Randy and I were just talking about that last Saturday. Hope you guys have a great time and stay safe! Don't forget to take tons of pictures and post them up! :BC:

Posted

I think I would like to fly down ,my wife will have family in town and said I could sneak out for a few days. the 12th is a Thursday isn't it?

Posted

One of these years we are going to make the trek down there for the jc flyin.. But it's probly going to be a couple more years out before we can do it. Randy and I were just talking about that last Saturday. Hope you guys have a great time and stay safe! Don't forget to take tons of pictures and post them up! :BC:

I'll go west when you come south.  Meet ya there…   :buttrock:

1 person likes this

Posted

That would be just a blast to get as many of us together as we can there.  We have got to make that happen.

Have fun at it this year and post the pictures!  Be safe.

Posted

We will be arriving Thursday afternoon. This is not the BCP fly in they are having that somewhere else this year. We will look for you.

Sure will be fun to get everyone down there. Let's set a date for next year and make it happen.

Posted

I'm in for a fly-in any other year. Starting to get ideas about rebuilding...more information to come later.

I second the motion that you guys take lots of pictures!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Anyone have fly out breakfast favorites in the Johnson Creek area?

Posted

SULPHER CREEK and the Flying B Ranch. McCall has some nice places if your needing to go out and get fuel.

Posted

Thanks Joey.

Posted

Here's another request for pictures to motivate the rest of us :rolleyes: Hope you have fun. Maybe I'll make it someday. It's only about 400 miles.

Posted

I plan on shooting some video also.  I am right at 410 nm from JC.  Hoping to take a second trip up there yet this summer.

2 people like this

Posted

It's almost 550NM for me. I've done it 3 times now in my 582 powered Avid. It's a fun adventure. The flight home after a week of camping can be a bit painful but flying is flying. Here's a video from my 2012 trip for those who haven't seen it.

2 people like this

Posted

Super fun trip. Only a couple hours for me, but I won't be going until I get something flying again :-(

Posted

I think we should start planning a trip for next year. I realize I don't have a plane up and going...yet, but I hope to have it ready to fly this winter again. Now to find me a right wing, figure out landing gear, panel...oh yeah and the pesky fuselage issue.

Posted

sure  wish I could make it up there this weekend with you guys but I have to work. I took the Stinson in to JC a couple days ago for the first time. it was Great! they did have the water sprinklers out so be aware but they are well marked with orange cones so we just landed off to the side with no issues. its only an hour flight for me so I will definitely be going in later this summer when the Avid is up. hope you all have a great time just keep the shiny side up

-Robert-

Posted

Robert wish you could make it but maybe when I come up later in the summer I will be able to stop by on my way if nothing else.

Posted

I gave it a good try but got stopped by the weather in Hamilton mt just over the hill from moose creek.finally got home today ,had fun messing around in Hamilton for a couple days anyway

Posted

The weather was interesting to say the least.  Flew Friday, none on Saturday and then today plenty of flying, east then west and finally south from McCall down toward Boise and around the lower end of the mountains by Sun Valley.  Fun trip for sure but not enough flying.  More later. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a short video from the Johnson Creek trip

I didn't get the neutral density lense until after I had left for my trip and thus the hocky sticks.

Edited by Paul S
2 people like this

Posted

sweet!  One of these days I have to get down there to play!!  I would kill for those snow covered mountains right now

:BC:

Posted

I have to admit that I really enjoy snow and the mountains.  Let's start a dialog about an AvidFox flyin next summer in Idaho.  There are a few good options in addition to Johnson Creek.  I am fairly open as far as the date goes.

Posted

I realize I might be out of my mind, but I'd like to get in on the discussions about a trip next year too. Maybe I'll get something done on the Phoenix and have it flying by then again, or maybe not, but I need some kind of motivation to keep at it right now.

Posted

I would love to be in on the discussion but not sure if I can make it next year.  will have to really plan time for it to get there and back from here; even if we trailer to OR and launch from there.

Posted

Well, I'm off to the Johnson Creek / Yellow Pine area today but will be driving there, not flying. :-(  From where I live its about a 2 1/2 hour flight, but an 8 hour drive. We will be kayaking the classic East Fork South Fork and South Fork Salmon rivers in a 4 day 3 night self support trip. The SF Salmon is a classic and epic wilderness whitewater run. The whitewater portion of the trip will end at Mackay Bar, but we will paddle an additional 20 miles on the Main Salmon to the nearest road access at Vinegar Creek out of Riggins.

When I get my plane in the air again my goal is to do this trip and run the shuttle by air with my friend Ron who also kayaks and flies a 912 powered MKIV. We would fly to Johnson Creek and unload our gear then fly to Mackay Bar and leave a plane there, then fly one plane back to Johnson Creek to put on. On the back side we would fly from Mackay Bar back to JC to get the other plane and fly back to Mackay Bar to complete the shuttle and  load up all our stuff and head home. What an adventure that will be! That will extract maximum utility out of our Avids! 

Chris