Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMPTY WEIGHT OF AVID MAGNUM???

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone have the empty weight and dimensions of their Avid Magnum?

My builders manual gives no dimensions, and the only empty weight given is in a W/B example as 1025 - even if they are assuming an O-320 installed, I cant imagine a 265 lb weight gain over SuberAvid's plane with the Stratus Soob weighing 760 - that being about the heaviest Avid I have heard of so far.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think Dave Goodes was heavier than Randy's, I know they were shooting for 815 pounds but I don't think they made it.  I think the one that Ross was building right down the road was projected to come out about the same.  They went a little nuts adding this and that to the fat avid frames.

:BC:

Posted

Isn't the Magnum 1750 gross. My buddy just sold his and it went down south. Much bigger airplane than a mark 4.

Posted (edited)

Dave Goode had an Airdale - not Magnum, or Avid.

Yes, Magnum is around 1700 - 1750 GW - just don't know EW or dimensions.

Maybe someone can give us some info on it.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

you were trying to come up with a weight.. you stated you didnt see how it was that much heavier than Randys plane as you thought it was one of the heaviest that you knew of.. Fat Avid, Avid Plus, Airdale or a MK IV with a subie have weight differences from the factory that are not too far apart for ball park figures.  My mentioning of Daves plane as well as Ross's plane was because they did a lot of monkeying around with them and added weight.  Daves plane was not just a straight airdale, its a bastard of the pursang, airdale and daves own designs, however, in terms of weight, it is a heavy pig as I noted above.  FWIW, its for sale again for 35k with only 1 hour ground run on the engine and no fisrt flight yet :lol:  His ad cracks me up.

http://kenai.craigslist.org/rvs/4478763215.html

Posted (edited)

Thanks Leni,

I didn't see Daves Airdale completely finished - I have several photos of it before it was covered and painted.  The only change I can spot right away is that he changed the rudder pedals from the original.   $100,000 Kits??? Ha!  Thanks for the ad.

Unless he changed the wheelskis, the ones he showed me looked very small.

I wonder what an Avid Magnum or Airdale bare fuselage weighs.........

EdMO

Here is a photo of the original rudder pedals.

post-399-0-97465900-1401568869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, here is a page with the specs for a Magnum.

Looks like 1025# for an empty weight and 1750# gross weight is correct. I think those are O-320 numbers.

http://www.skytamer.com/Avid_Magnum.html

Posted

My Magnum weighs 1050. That is with 0-320, composite fixed pitch, 800's, fat tailwheel, electric start, pretty robust baggage area, middle of the road instrumentation and Aerothane paint. There are a few places some weight could be shaved, but things would be pretty bare bones to get much below 1000.

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

The Magnum is a much bigger and heavier plane than the MKIV, Fat Avid or Airdale Flyer.

Posted

I had no idea that it was that much bigger than the other Avids. Chris, what difference is there in the wings overall? Are they dimensionally the same, what is the spar material?

Posted

Wings are almost same as MKIV....almost.... 083 AL spars, closer spaced ribs, more sophisticated fuel tank venting, but same physical size and capacity, same length flapperons as regular Avid, but more flapperon hangars per flap, and an additional 1.5 ft length on each wing for a 33 ft wingspan. Wing strut mounting position is scaled to wing length so further out on wing than standard Avid. Longer beefier spar stiffener. Spar spacing is identical to all other Avids, so except for strut mount position would bolt right up to any other Avid. Wing strut tubing is larger diameter.

Fuse is MUCH beefier and heavier. Gross weight 1750 for my version. I think they started out a couple hundred LB lighter gross, but increased over time. Magnum is a super performer with power to weight ratio similar to that of a MKIV with 100 HP 912S. Climbs like a homesick angel. I could frequently see sustained 2000 FPM when relatively light.

The Magnum wing is same length as the factory Flat Avid wing, but the Flat Avid wings are much flimsier(sp) with less ribs, not stiffened near as well and use the original strut mounting position so more wing is cantilevered past the strut.

Posted

Sounds like what I had on Pursang actually. The spacing for the ribs were 12" with .083 spars. I still don't know if John put stiffeners in them or not. He also filled the ends and a lot of other things with expanding foam so I will have to ramrod it or eat it out to see what's in there. Haven't taken the time to do that yet. The only difference would be the 33' wingspan. Pursang was 31'3" when I measured it. I do know some of that came from the Avid tips though.

How is your glide rate with that wing and weight?

Thanks for the information!

Posted

Expanding foam is corrosive to most metals especially aluminum. IMO it has no place in an airplane.

The guy who built my mangy fox had that crap all over it. Luckily there was none in the wing spars. Where ever I dug it out near metal, that metal was corroded.

Posted

I believe I have read on the instant foam cans:  "Not for use in aircraft".

EDMO

Posted

I don't see any corrosion but I agree that there is no reason for it to be there in the first place. Not sure the reasoning for it actually. The right wing tip was filled with the stuff, I can only guess it was to help stiffen the fiberglass tip? I'm sure it would have been much lighter to have added another layer of cloth and resin to it instead.

Posted

My Avid tips were filled with foam too - it may be in the builders book - wont hurt fiberglass - just aluminum.

EDMO

Posted

My avid tips had foam in them too. In summer time heat the glass will warp bad without some substructure. The foam itself is not corrosive, but the moisture it holds damn sure is. Just like the wood strut farings if they are not properly sealed.

:BC: