Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 532, what would a new one be worth + other questions

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, I'm doing some research and am curious what a brand new rotax 532 would be worth? I realize everyone wants a 582 and want to know why, pros, cons, etc.

I may have a line on one that is brand new in the box and wondered if I was able to pick it up what would be a good price point for it versus what I might expect to get for it if I was selling it on Barnstormers?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The 532 is no longer made - at one time, a long time ago, Kitfox advertised an exchange program to trade in for the new gray-head 582, and later that was replaced by the blue-head with dual ignition, and newer redrive.

Nothing bad that I know of about the single-ignition 532, except that you cant buy a crank for one now.  If your crank is bad, just use it for a boat anchor.   I've got a complete electric start 532 with 80 hours on it - cheap!

some of them were sold without electric start - possibly the early redrives were not as good as later ones?

The 2-stroke guys on here know a lot more than I do about this engine.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Its a points motor.. I would give ya a few hundred for it as you can use that case to build a 582 but thats about all its good for IMO... The only 532 I flew behind tried to kill me 9 times in 9 flights none lasting more than 2 minutes.

:BC:

Posted

9 times in 9 flights.

You must be related to my cat.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like it's not worth much, even sitting brand new in the box. Good to know.

Thanks again guys. Always good information here.

Posted

Depends on what kind of box - some boxes are pretty expensive! :-)

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

I have been running with a 532 for more than 40 hours and I can´t complain about the engine, I had problems with the ignition but was solved thanks to a gentleman here, I Was flying last summer together with a friend  and his avid 582, and we were both about the same in every possible way, his fuel consumption was better than mine, but I Think it was because I didn´t calibrate my carb as good as his.

downside ---is a OLD engine regardless of how new in the box you get it.

pros--- cheapper than a rotax 582 in cost and maintenance as well...

I bought a second 532, because it was cheap and I can now have to running engines.

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

I put about 60 hrs on a 532 in an Avid B model before I sold that plane.  I had new seals put in it when I got it as it had never been apart since new.  It ran good, and the points ignition made it easy to hand prop.  I liked it!  Jim Chuk

Posted

Glad to hear that you can make a 582 out of the 532 according to Leni - wonder what the cost of that would be?

At least that makes it worth a little more than a boat anchor!!!!

EDMO

Posted

Glad to hear that you can make a 582 out of the 532 according to Leni - wonder what the cost of that would be?

At least that makes it worth a little more than a boat anchor!!!!

EDMO

Whoooooaaah up mr.. I just said you can use the crank case on a 582.. that is about all you can swap over.  RV shaft is different etc. When a buddy bought a MK IV with a cracked case, we got a case from a 532 and I built it for him using all the 582 components.

Posted

Thanks Leni - I understood that is what you said.

EdMO