Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Request pic of compression spring set up

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my compression tail wheel spring kit from Spruce today. How does it go together? Spings on rudder, chain on TW or vice versa. How do you cut that chain? Anyone have pics?

Posted

If no one gets you a pic tonight I will run over to the airport in the morning and get you a couple.  You should have a couple clips that go on the chain and spring.  You can cut the sring with any ole side cutters.

:beerchug:

Posted

Here is a picture of my setup if it is of any help to you.  Cheers, Mike

625_ab57410eebbc8da02c1b2aab4a9a741fe179

Posted

Thanks looks like you extended your attachment points on the rudder and added a clevis.

Posted

yeppers, mine are the same way.  Extended 1" but should have gone 1.5 or 2".  Same clevises etc.  You can hook them up without the clevises, but have a buddy help and a couple beers to help dull the pain of the skinned knuckles.....

Posted

What's the advantage of extending out the attachment point? Where did you guys get those little clevises?

Posted

I got mine from AC Spruce, but you should be able to get them at the local airport FBO.  By extending the arm on the ruddder, you get more throw to the tail wheel.  I find that I cant unlock my tail wheel unless I really stand on the brake and hit lots of power.  I loike to be able to unlock it with full rudder so I can get it to swivel on the beach alot easier.

Posted

Gotcha! I figured it had to with the throw but didn't think about it effecting how it unlocked. I should of had some tabs welded on there before I painted it. Does a nut and bolt hold the extension okay? It seems it would want to pivot around the bolt under heavy loads.

Posted

I'm going to drop my rudder off at my local fab guys place to have him weld on some extensions. So you think an inch and half on each side is good? I guess I could always drill a few holes if it's too much.

Posted

Sorry Guys late to the party,

I'm building a Mark IV + from airdale. Appears that we have the Mark IV with modifications to frame for width. As to hardware and other things appears to be same as with Mark IV, we are finding.

My Question is then, it appears to be a very proliferate problem with the tail and needing to extend this clevis? on each side of the rudder?

So wanting to be ahead of the game and about to find a local machine shop to Manufacture some of the parts (owner man.) and possibly extend my control column, I would like to maybe have this done simultaneously.

So real question for AVID owners, is this a mod I will need to perform???

Posted

you can do one of two things.  add the extension (does not need to be welded can just be bolted on, or modify the tail wheel lock so it will break loose sooner, or modify the brake master cylinder attach point so you have better braking and can lock up one wheel to break the tail wheel loose.  I am doing a little bit of all three :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Greg - with the exception of the wings, keep in mind most Avid Mk-IV and Airdale Avid+ parts are similar but not exactly the same. The horizontal and vertical tail surfaces are two examples where the parts are way different, much larger on the Avid+. I haven't measured the Avid+ horns but but looking at pics of my old Mk-IV rudder I think the Avid+ horns may be longer. Also, IIRC, the rudder horns are longer on the Mk-IV vs. the A,B,C models. In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about it now. I think a lot of 'problems' stem from the earlier Avid models with old Maule tailwheels and worn tits (that's a real technical term!). Just get the thing together with the new Aviation Products tailwheel supplied and see if it's a problem before spending (wasting) time on it.

:2cent:

P.S. - a good guide to tw maint here > http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Maule_Tailwheel.pdf

Posted

I was just running through the old Avid Com files and found where they went from a 5" tab to a 7" tab to be able to break the tail wheel free.  Just a simple bolt on as I made.

Posted

I am revisiting this. I never did get any extensions made. I have enough time on my bird now that I'd like to be able to get it to full swivel. I have the old mechanical brakes that suck so even with braking and power I can't get it to come loose. For someone operating off of grass and pavement the majority of the time think 1" is enough of an extension?

Posted

I doubt it.  I made mine 1" longer and it was not enough.  TRy loosening up the chains a link and see if you can get it to break over then.  That is what I ended up doing.

Posted

My springs are pretty tight...prob too tight. I could never find shackles like the one in the picture. I looked at all the online places, napa, ace hardware, and our local boat shop with no luck. What size are they..where did you find them?

Posted

I picked up some extension springs from the hardware store yesterday and started playing around with them and my chain to try and get a good combo. I had 3 sets of springs. I found out my old set up had the springs WAY too tight. I finally got a set up where I could I get the tailwheel to break over relatively easy but it was too sloppy. I think I finally found a happy medium. It takes all the braking power my drums can muster and a blast of throttle but I can get it broke loose now at least and it taxi's and lands alot easier on the pavement now with less tension on the springs.