10 posts in this topic

Posted

Gents and Ladies,

Need a battery for my Avid

582 Rotax

Thanks

Robin

Posted

I run a PC 625 but Randy just went  to the Earth X battery and its under 4 pounds.

Posted

FYI... The Odyssey PC535 and PC625 are both 6.70L" x 3.90"W. The only size difference is the height, 6.24" vs. 6.95". However, both are rated 200CCA so I chose the PC535 because it is over 1lb. lighter and the price a little easier to swallow. Plus, it afforded better specs overall vs. my old battery, which seemed quite sufficient turning over my 912ul until it fizzled.

Odyssey spec comparison attached.

post-53-0-62499900-1401901418_thumb.jpg

Posted

I ran a 360 CCA lawn tractor battery in my Avid with a Jabiru which takes way more power to spin than a 582.  It was about $35 on sale.  I will do it again when I get the plane flying again. Jim Chuk

Posted

My Avid was running a lawn and garden battery like Jim has. I also had a small motorcycle battery as a backup for my secondary ignition system, not that you need that though.

Posted

Thanks everyone.

Posted

I also chose to go with the EarthX battery. haven't had a chance to test it yet but is supposed to be great for these engines and weighs less than a pound. price was very reasonable compared to others as well. also their customer service is awesome. just my .02 cents

-Robert-

Posted

Robert,

which battery did you get?  The one that is comparable to the PC 680 that Randy went with is 3.5 pounds.  I dont think the one that is.9 pounds will spin a starter.

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

I believe that Robert said he kept the manual starter to save weight, and only needed a small battery.

EDMO