Source for Curtis Quick Drain mini gasket / O-rings

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just noticed a small seep / drip from the quick drain on my gascolator after use. After pulling the part I see the little internal mini gasket is in need of replacement. Unfortunately, from a quick search, it would appear Curtis would rather sell you a whole new drain vs. a replacement gasket.

Sooo, does anyone know where to source these little mini gaskets?

Alternatively, has anyone --successfully-- substituted an ethanol proof O-ring in its place? I've found a comment on the Vans Forum suggesting O-ring p/n MS29513-009 from ACS (7/32" i.d., 11/32" o.d., 1/16" width @ $0.26 ea.) might work.

Any suggestions?

Posted

Buy the repairable brand?

EdMO

Posted

I used a couple of o-rings from my one size fits all o-ring kit from Harbor Freight...

Posted

I've put new ones in my quick drains from Harbor Freight kit like Larry. They seem to hold up just fine.

Posted

Well, I do have the HF metric and reg Nitrile O-ring kits which always was 'Plan B', good to know they will hold up for a bit. Thnx

Posted

That's how I rebuilt my carbs, too.

Posted

Doug, I'm glad you brought this up. so just to make sure I have 3 curtis quick drains in my system- 1 in each wing tank and 1 in the header tank. I'm planning to put fuel in for the first time next week. Do I need to replace the o-rings now to make sure they will hold up to alcohol or am I ok to just use them seeing as I don't plan to ever run alcohol except for the occasional time when I cant find the good stuff??? sorry to butt in but I had never considered this and now you have me thinking.

-Robert-

Posted

I doubt the original gasket rings would go bad overnight with E-10 Autogas, mine took a few months. :)

Never the less, if there is a chance that you will use auto gas, I would just E-proof the entire fuel system sooner rather than later. Cheap insurance. In addition to fuel hose and quick drains, don't forget your gascolator if applicable. Aircraft Spruce (I think that's where I got them) sells an ethanol proof replacement bowl gasket and SS screen for the E-AB homebuilder style gascolator.

BTW, I used one of the HF nitrile kit O-rings and so far so good.

Posted

I used a number 36 O-ring three years ago and she still going strong! 5/16x3/16x1/16

1 person likes this

Posted

Thnx Bryce, good info. Used to be Dad and GrandDad would McGuyver or Rube Goldberg something six ways to Sunday before retiring a part. In this disposable world of ours, we have now reached the point where we toss a $15 metal part for want of a few pennies worth of rubber. G'Dad would be shaking his head!

2 people like this