Pop quiz, who in their right mind would live here.

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Here would be Houston... Or as I have taken to naming it these last few days Hellston! Not offend anyone here, but just why the bad fn word would you choose to live in a place that is so freakin hot that your plane flys like it's only running on 1 cylinder and you can't step outside for more than 2 minutes without calling paramedics for an iv due to dehydration and heat stroke! It's a damn good thing the company is paying me a lot of $ to be here or my fat ass would be on the next plane home! Between the heat and the traffic I don't have much of a chance of leaving this city with less than a couple assault charges.

Posted

Leonard,

There is a reason you live in Alaska, and there is a reason I don't.  You like it cold, I like it hot, you like it dry, I like it humid.  Traffic, I completely agree.  I don't live in Houston, but I'd rather live there than Alaska.  We had 18 below actual this year, and I hated it.  If I'm a little chilly in a tropical shirt, shorts, and flip flops, it's too d*** cold for me!  Much below 80 and I'm unhappy.  Anything below 40% humidity, and I have to start slathering on lotion or I'll itch terribly and shed like a snake.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Leni,

Every place has its good points and bad points - Fortunately, most of us have somewhat of a chance to choose what suits us best - I loved Alaska - hated the hot summers here in Missouri "Mizery" - but the winters aren't too bad here.

Save your money, so when you can retire, you have enough socked away to live in the place that suits you best.

I once had one of the best hunting dogs a person could ever want.   My cousin, who grew up hunting with me in Missouri, had gone to Texas and made a lot of money.  He said, "I want to buy your dog - just name your price."   I said, "You don't have enough money to buy this dog."  He said, "Why wont you sell the dog to me?"   I answered,  "I wouldn't send a DOG to Texas!"   :lol:

EDMO

P.S.   Someone asked me once "If I missed Missouri?" - I quickly replied, "Yes, I miss ticks and chiggers, spiders and snakes, hot summers, sunburn, lightning and tornadoes - and a few other things that I cant think of right now while I am enjoying smoking the salmon I dipnetted at midnight on the Kenai River while watching the sun make its way around the horizon!" 

Edited by Ed In Missouri
2 people like this

Posted

Think positive Leni, there are a lot of good places to eat in the Houston area.  And there is What a burger. I used to enjoy going there in the winter mostly.

Posted

Hey Leni,

Now you know why I'm paranoid about cooling my engine and density altitude performance! Nashville is the same just further east. Imagine trying to fly out of a bowl over hills. It makes one real conversant with his Higher Power. Bryce

Posted

I'm with Leni.  Lately it's been perfect summer weather here.  High 60's or low 70's during the day and 40º at night.  Perfect.

To me, once it gets to 80º, I fire up the AC and hide inside.  (Unless it's Airventure, which always seems to be 90/60º with humidity - that's different…)

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry, my brother from another mother! Yep, that is the perfect temp range for me as well.

Actually we were in the 90s more that once last summer at home and I got a slap in the face with d.a. That I have not even thought about in the last 25 years. It took me days to figure out why I barely made the trees at the end of the lake that I normally clear by 500' or why it took me 70 miles to get to 4k :lol: I am way too spoiled with the moderate temps and good plane performance.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

COLD?  Yes, I have been in the cold of Fairbanks at minus 70F, and you protect yourself from it - Just like you protect yourself from the 100F heat in the lower 48.

BUT, I left Anchorage when it was 5F and I was walking around in a light jacket unzipped - 6 hours later I landed in St. Louis where it was 18F, put on my heavy parka, and nearly froze to death before getting to my car and turning on the heat.

Mostly, it is the temperature combined with the humidity - the wrong combination can make you miserable - with the right combination, you don't feel it as much.

You can put on more clothes when it is cold, and stay warm;  but you can only take off so much when it is hot, and you are still hot.

I left Missouri in 107F temperatures and was sooo happy to get to the Yukon and Alaska where it was about 70F in July.

Guess there is a place in the world for each of us - my favorite is Alaska - but until you live there, you don't really know why!

EdMO

Posted

Yes, there is a place for all of us, thankfully.  Maybe I'm just practicing for the afterlife, but I'm happier hot.  Two years ago we were flying young eagles on July 3rd in Pittsfield, IL.  We were in the middle of a heat wave, and the high that day was 104.  I don't know what the humidity was, probably lower than normal because it had been hot and dry for several weeks.  I wasn't flying that day, so I ran the gate to the tarmac.  I had on my shorts, sandals, tropical shirt, and a wide brimmed hat.  I kept a bottle of water with me, and had slathered on a good dose of sunscreen.  I stood at the gate letting kids and parents in and out for about 3 hours, and was perfectly comfortable.  I'm sure you Alaska guys would have spontaneously combusted right there >:D

That phrase 'you can always put on more clothes' isn't true either.  I've had on so darn many clothes I almost couldn't move, and still felt like I was freezing to death. Any more and I probably would have, since I wouldn't have been able to move and generate some heat. 

That said, I'm glad you guys like Alaska.  It makes more room for me where I like to be, and I like to watch the shows about it on Discovery.  While I'm sitting near the beach, with shorts, flip flops, and a drink in hand of course  :lol: .

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Mark, and hot weather folks,

Glad you like the shows about Alaska, but they are all Hollywood fakes!   The scenery is not that beautiful, and the bears, wolves, moose and caribou are mangy, the tiny salmon and halibut are really small but taken with magnifier lenses -  And people are always freezing to death there.

Don't want everyone to go up there - it is too crowded already -

guess I will stay here with you, but under the AC!  :lol:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I would rather shiver than sweat! Nothing better than ski flying!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmmm, 3:2 the cold weather guys are pulling ahead :lmao:

It's not that bad, just a huge culture shock!

Posted

Ex-Cheechacos!  :lol:

EdMO

Posted

Oh yeah, I'm with Ed... Hollywood has done us no favors. The new "reality" shows make us out to be a bunch of broke dick back woods inbred idiots.. The only one with much truth to it is deadliest catch, and they are even make them look like shmucks now too.

Posted

Don't worry too much about the hollywood representation. Not everyone in the lower 48 believes there is much reality in a 'reality' show. Those that do probably voted for Obama......

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

:lmao:

:BC::BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,

I have 2 Avids, a summer one that climbs like a greyhound bus and a winter one that'll pass an f-16 on takeoff! Both the same plane😳. However, the summer one knows where all the chicks with no tan lines lay out by their pools😜! Actually, all those are waypoints on foreflight! Damn, I gotta get back in the air! Bryce

1 person likes this