Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Throttle Body Injection on 2 Bangers!

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Guys;

any of you heard of this throttle body injectors for 2 strokes, there is on e new product from Rotec, same aussy company that makes the radial engine, they have a 582 fitted with a TBI, 

if you heard or know more about this please let me know, I´m seriously considering to replace the Bing for this type.

http://www.rotecaerosport.com/faqs/tbi-rotax/

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-50981400-1403120359_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-87690500-1403120363_thumb.jpg

Posted

Why do you want to do this? What is the benefit you want?

Posted

you want the long story or the short story?? --- look at the amount of the mechanical parts in comparison to the bings, fuel mixture is done in a different way can be adjusted in flight with little installation, primer system built in---

there is a fair amount of accidents reported by the float arm on the bings and on, and on and on.... this is basically a crude injection system. NO need to be on top them all the time....

there is list of advantages... if they work as they advertise, hence the question

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Hi Dimi, I have a Rotec TBI on my soob and it runs great ,really runs smooth and starts instantly,its not a two stroke  but not sure what the difference would be. I also only have about 20 hours running it,we have it set up that it will idle at full rich as well as wide open throttle and of course you can lean it out for cruise,not much to go wrong on them except maybe dirty fuel clogging the ports.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

One advantage is that the
TBI is not prone to icing like carbs, but I don't know about this one.

Big Question:   How much do they cost?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey Willis; nice to have somebody to talk to objectively, I mean I spoke with a sales man, but you know how it is, there is never anything wrong with it.- I think ED hit the nail on the head, cost is 850$ per unit plus shipping and of course here plus 25%VAT, and I need 2 units, don´t know about that, I will have to sell the whole airplane to buy those 2 things; don´t know I guess I´m mister cheepo here.

I believe there was a problematic start of this type of carbs like the POSA carb, and also there is a good working unit way too expensive Alisson, and there is a cheaper version but I haven´t heard anything to 2 strokes, Arovee....

nevertheless, the carb looks very simple and it appears that there is nothing really to go wrong there, installation should be pretty much straight forward.

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Hard to believe that $850 is not the price for dual units - There is a single TBI that sells for either $295 or $395 and will handle the Soob.  Don't know if that is the Rotec model, but think so.

EDMO

Posted

There prices seem to be going up. I think mine was round  $650-700 a few years ago, I had very little room above the intake  to clear the cowl so it worked out good for me

Posted (edited)

I just checked my Sport Aviation mag - The $395 price is for an "Aeroinjector" TBI from the company, "AeroConVersions" who make the AeroVee engines.     It says it is for 30 to 125 hp engines.

This TBI was probably not made when you bought yours.

EDMO

Question:   Why does Rotax think that you have to have 2 carbs for each engine?  Most engines only have one carb or TBI for all the cylinders.   Seems like 2 carbs would just be a PITA to keep them set the same,

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

well, was not 850 but close!

quote from the mail

":..he normal list price per unit is USD $799 + packaging/shipping to your door is USD $85 = USD $884, however, for a limited time, pricing has been discounted to USD $749 per unit (plus shipping)..."

I was about to ask the same, what is the difference between 2 carbs and 1, I know  we loose little bit of power but how much? and is it really worth the trouble of having 2 carbs?---, sync, and way too many other things to look for when you have 2 instead of one???

could be good idea perhaps running 1 unit instead? any thoughts?

Aeroinjector doesn´t work on 2 strokes, as far as I can read on the website.

Regards

Dimi3

Edited by Wolverine

Posted

I have had several quicksilver ultralights with the 503 on them.  I was running dual bings on one of them and switched it out for a single bing and you could feel the power loss by going to a single.  Both carb setups had the right needles and jetting and running same egts.  I know this is on a draggy ultralight that has a cruise speed of 40 mph.  I don't know for sure but have been told by many people the dual carb on the 503 was good for over 5 hp.  Also working on a T-bird (582 with dual bings) and switching from the big silent airbox to the k&n style airfilter and had to get new needle jets, main jets and needles and they said I would gain 5 hp just by doing this change.

Posted

Now that's a sweet little 503! but kind of pricey, not that rotax and bing are cheap to buy from, you would probably have that in 1 bing carb too, new that is.

Posted

I question why the Aerovee TBI don't work on 2-strokes same as Rotec - you are sucking same air and gas as a 4-stroke - I have Injection books that I have never read -  

EDMO

Posted

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has to do with the 2 strokes sensitivity to mixture combined with liability. I think the manual mixture adjustment on the throttle bodies with an unfamiliar user might be able to go over the max EGT of the 2 stroke engines pretty easily and pretty fast causing an engine seizure. There is a company offering an electronic fuel injection system that can be used with 2 strokes which would take the mixture problem out of the equation. http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stroke_small_engine_fuel_injection_kit

More reading:

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/old%20ellison%20files/applications/rotax582.htm

2 people like this

Posted

WOW... that´s more like it!.... thanks for posting---