Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

soob drivers, need pics

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I am starting to work on my airdale again and was wondering if the guys running soobs could post some pics of the engine installation.  I have the stratus conversion mounted on plane but nothing hooked up.  I would like to see where you are mounting coils, routing fuel and water lines.  Also if you are running a cabin heater how it is set up.  One last thing is there a remote mount for the oil filter my filter is up tight on firewall.  Thanks, Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark,

I have not heard of a remote filter mount - Mine is so close to the firewall that I barely have room to get the filter wrench on it - I believe SuberAvid said the same about his, and I believe Airdale#1 was the same way. 

I don't have mine mounted now, so don't have any photos.

EDMO

Posted

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures either. My coils were located on the upper left side of the firewall, just bolted into place. The cabin heater was on the right side, mounted behind the firewall in the cabin. It was a heater core for an older F150. It worked fairly well actually. I flew the plane when it was below freezing and with the little computer fan behind it, it did okay.

I was also running a remote filter, not sure how you could get a filter in there otherwise. The stratus engine mount was VERY close to the firewall and even just the remote filter housing was clearance a little to make it fit easier.

The very few pictures I have of the engine won't show you what you're looking to see, so I can only help with descriptions.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I might add - one of the pulleys is so close to the firewall that you may have to dent the firewall there in order to put belt on. 

Lostman, could you possibly find out where the remote filter unit is sold?  Maybe ask John?

I wish there was a  Soob dealer close to me - to ask them if they ever made a remote filter.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I just source out a small oil filter for my soob its a Denso 115010-5480 its only about two and a half inches wide,kinda small but its made by subaru and will fit in between the engine and firewall,it also had a Fuji number 248-65801-00 , I plan on regular oil changes so think it will work fine

Posted (edited)

Hers a few pics of my set up

post-282-0-19512000-1403218642_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-34199000-1403218658_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-61356200-1403236785_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-13189500-1403236799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marshawk
1 person likes this

Posted

I am curious about the gold colored T fitting at rear center of where oil pan should be - feed for redrive oil?

EDMO

Posted

Yes Ed the braided cable is going to redrive and the small plastic line to the oil pressure gauge

Posted

Here are a few with the Stratus motor setup.  My radiators in front add a lot more hoses under the cowl plus I have carb heat to the air intake boxes for each carb and also have heat ducts from the radiators to the cabin.

post-75-0-52790400-1403251753_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-95007000-1403251769_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-81707200-1403251784_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-44138100-1403251801_thumb.jpg

2 people like this