Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Jury Strut Spar Bracket?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

My Avid Magnum shows a Jury strut bracket like I need  - Can anyone tell me if this is made of steel or aluminum?

EDMO

Posted

Ed, mine are made of 4130 steel so I would guess that the Magnum is the same. they are real easy to make from scratch.

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

Robert,

The Kitfoxes just had 2 steel angles riveted to the spar - don't know how the other Avids are made, but the Magnum is like a half-band wrapped around the spar with a triangle sticking up from the side of it.

After doing the Riblett mod on my bottom ribs, my brackets are too short, so got to make some taller ones.

Guess I can remove and replace mine, or make some other kind to extend them.

Thanks,  ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ed, My avid uses two small steel angles riveted/ hysoled to the spar as well. I have seen some that looked much nicer on other Avids though. and also on some Just aircraft. looked like someone took a piece of tubing with the same size inner diameter as the outer diameter of your spar cut out a small shim say 1/4" or so and cut that up into smaller pieces so when its cut you have a nice piece of material that is perfectly shaped to go around your spar but its only 1 1/2" or so long then you just weld a tab sticking down however far you need to bolt the jury strut onto this is then attached to the spar just like the others. hope that mad since.

-Robert-

[Edit] - crappy paint shop drawing to try and explain what I'm talking aboutpost-352-0-61201300-1403808726.png

Edited by High Country

Posted

Thanks Robert,

That is just what the book shows for the Avid Magnum - except that I thought it may have been made in one piece, and the ear bent 90 degrees - hard to tell from photos in builders manual.  I think I will replace my old ones and use the same rivet holes - don't like drilling more holes in spar than necessary.

EdMo