Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing Trailing Edge Replacement

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni,

I wanted to Thank You for your help on an old thread that you did to your bird.

Back Story !! 

I purchased an Avid C Model MK IV, Serial # 1001. Thats what the paper work says anyway ! ?  The Avid looks to be

a B Model with MK IV upgrades. Anyway it was built with the cable in the trailing edge and after some looking over

your mods on your wing, I decided to convert my Bat Wing to a Straight trailing edge. Instead of using the standard

trailing edge from Spruce, I bought some 6061 T6 seamless .375 od .035 wall and used it to make the trailing edge.

I used the existing holes that the cable ran thru on the flaperon ribs and put in some all thread and ground some nuts 

down so I could slip the tubing over it. I channeled the short rib to accept the tubbing there as well. I hysoled the nuts

and all thread, inside the tubing and where the tube contacted the short rib and worked my way to the wing tip. After it was all on the wing, I went back and Hysoled all the joints again and made everything smooth. I have since covered that wing,

and everything looks great. I'm going to start on the 2nd wing shortly and hope to have everything done including the paint

in a couple of months. My flying buddy and I are working on covering his Kitfox 5 wings at the same time as covering mine.

Here are a few pics of the mod to the wing and the last picture was from the For Sale Ad. It was taken in 08.  

Thanks Leni for your help !!!

post-562-0-68789700-1403620695_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-77954700-1403620746_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-40713000-1403620793_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-87477800-1403620847_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-47420100-1403620987.jpeg

Posted

Never thought of using tubing. Interesting! Hope it holds up for you, it looks good from here!

:BC:

Posted

Nice! Avids look better with a straight trailing edge IMO, never been much of a fan for the old bat wing. One comment that I might add, which would seem particularly appropriate when using round stock for your trailing edge, is that some of the KF builders have added stiffeners between the ribs running from the rear spar to the trailing edge to help prevent deformation when shrinking the fabric. Carbon fiber arrow shaft blanks from the local archery shops seemed to be preferred for light weight and high strength.

Posted

Doug,

Any photos you can post of the arrows to trailing edge?

EDMO

Posted

^ thank you sir!

Posted

I'm here to serve... :)

Posted

Well then Wild Bill would probably appreciate if you would cover his 2nd wing tomorrow afternoon sometime, preferably before supper hour.

Posted

Would you like that in duct tape, gorilla tape or for a small surcharge I can use video tape?

Posted

I must be using the wrong covering cause I think I used $1 Bills. :( 

Posted

Thanx for the Kitfox info - Seems like every time I think I am finished with my wings, then I find that there is another important mod to do - Guess it is better to do it the best I can the first time, rather than fix things later on.

EDMO