Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"A" model Avid

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

Last fall, I bought an "A" model Avid Flyer, s/n 90, without an engine, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Last weekend, I trailered it (on an old boat trailer) 425 miles home to Illinois.  Yes, the plane needs work, but it is pretty much all there.

Plans?  I plan on installing a wing tank and replacing the original fiberglass nose tank with a small header tank, install a basic instrument panel rather than the velcro'ed-to-the-fuel tank panel that was originally there, open up the wings and repair the damaged wing tips and trailing edge ribs (groundloop?), and replace the engine with a Franklin 2A120.  (If that doesn't elicit comments, I don't know what will.)

Thanks for the website.  I've found lots of good information here, and more than a little inspiration.

Attached are a few pictures of the plane.

Charlie Sullivan

post-854-0-54826100-1403714035_thumb.jpg

post-854-0-86710300-1403714046_thumb.jpg

post-854-0-62419100-1403714058_thumb.jpg

post-854-0-25926900-1403714067_thumb.jpg

Posted

Welcome Charlie! First time I've ever seen an Avid taped to a trailer! :BC:

Posted

That may be the most shaky Avid ever flown, unless someone puts a Jake on one!   Haven't seen one of those engines in the last 50 years -  Welcome, and Good Flying, and keep us posted on results.

EdMO

Posted

Now that's a unique engine!

What is the story? How about some details on her? Hp, weight, etc...

Posted

Charlie,

A very unique engine choice, indeed! Should have a lot of people scratching their heads with that. The last one of those I saw was on a Bellanca 7ACA Champion.  They're called a Franklin but they're built by WSK-PZL in Poland, who have the TC's now.  60hp @ 3200rpm. Bore & Stroke: 4.625" X 3.50".  58.8 cu.in.  Weight is listed as 126-133#. They have been in production since about 1962 to the present I think. They are popular on motorgliders in Europe.

Good luck on your new adventure

Laurel

1 person likes this

Posted

I flew a 7ACA out of Lockport, IL in the early 1970's.  I gave my wife-to-be's cousins their first airplane ride in it, and several of my classmates their first airplane ride in it.  'Never did have any problems with it, but you had to have the idle speed set up above 850 rpm or it would shake the smithereens out of the carburetor.  As you see it, the oil capacity is only 2.5 qts.  I'm looking for a "C" model oil sump for it with a more reasonable 4 qt capacity.

When I towed the airplane, I reversed the ball on the hitch to pick the tail up by about 6 inches over leaving it alone.  It made quite a difference.  I'm sure the airload on the wings was less, and I was able to see traffic better out the side view mirror.  I tried to keep my speed at 60 or under, but ran as fast as 65 to get out of the way of some heavy traffic in Illinois.

That was several wraps of duct tape with a couple of layers of Gorilla tape over.  Ya do what ya gotta do...

Posted

We modified some oil sumps to bigger capacity for racing - not hard to do - just need to extend the pickup tube to match.

EdMO

Posted

Welcome. I hauled my model c/d from california to illinois, but in a covered trailer. Good luck on the build and ask questions here. The answers will let you know all the ways to not do something. :-)

Mark

Posted

here's something to look at

post-61-0-27657000-1403808260_thumb.jpgpost-61-0-74307400-1403808303.jpg

Posted (edited)

You may plant some seeds of interest with the Franklin - most young flyers have never seen one like that - prices may go up again!  Wonder how much the new Polish ones are going for?

Can't go wrong with Red! Looks Good.  Send us some flying reports.   What prop?

Thx for posting photos.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Very interesting photos of the Avid with a Franklin.  The starter ring gear appears to be adapted from a Lycoming, and probably a lightweight starter mounted on the top of the crankcase.  Notice how long the lever arm is from the crankshaft to the carburetor.  That's another reason why I would like to find a "C" model sump and put the carb back of it and up higher like in a 150 or 165 Horse Franklin.  The mount is also somewhat of a challenge what with the actual framework of the fuselage being back from the rudder pedal mounts.  Hmmm...

Posted

A90,

Did you get the message I sent about the discountaircraftparts place having the Franklin sump for sale?

EDMO