Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Saving a Barnyard Mummy

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Jeff is back in the game!.  We rescued this Merlin GT tonight but we were unsure if it would qualify as a Ramp mummy; a bit of damage and not to well stored but it looks rebuildable.  The critical parts are all there and not too much damage.  Will have to strip off the fabric to see what damage and rust there is and then recover it.  Any body have a good engine hanging around for Jeff?  He is already making airplane noises.

post-75-0-95368000-1404111128_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-38961400-1404111165_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-16312000-1404111187_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-73491400-1404111201_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-29299900-1404111227_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-63788800-1404111241_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-06745700-1404111254_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy,

What kind of engine is he looking for? I actually have another Subaru engine that's already converted with a re-drive that I might be willing to sell if he's interested.

It's nice to see people getting neglected planes back into the air!

Posted

I think you can use the N-number and get the engine specs from the FAA site, If you don't know what engine it had originally.

BTW:   There is a geared redrive for EA-81 on ebay for $1500 - but don't think this one had a heavy engine???

EDMO

Posted

I remember seeing the Merlin GT in Kitplanes back in the 90s. Don't remember much of the details, but I found this with a google search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Yonder_Merlin

1 person likes this

Posted

This one had a 618 in it originally.  The builder is still here in our EAA chapter.  He evidently crashed it during the test phase and then sold it and it has been sitting ever since.  Too bad the guy that had it didn't store it better, it would make the rebuild a lot easier.  It is good that the company is still in existance so hopefully parts should still be available.  The main parts missing are the landing gear & prop which were wiped out on the crash and engine and instruments were sold separately.  Will have to let Jeff decide what to power it with.  It does have the 618 engine mount so would probably work on a 582 as well (guessing).  It is dimensionally a pretty big plane for the 582 though.

Posted (edited)

With wing area nearly twice as much as an Avid, if you build it light, it should really be a good slow flyer, and stall should be really slow.

What was really a shock to me, was the differences in landing gears, from the strong-looking gear on the original GT, to the weak-looking tiny gear legs on the newer EZ.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There are a number of Merlins in my area as Blue yonder is a local company.  The Merlin is a capable airplane and I have seen the very light ones fly on a 503.  Many fly on 582's with good performance.  Take off with the 582 and a 3 to 1 gearbox is 600 to 800 ft with a climb of about 1000 fpm.  Cruise is at about 65 to 75mph. Most fly with a 912 and this turns the plane into a nice solid performer with a cruise closer to 85 to 90mph.  Wayne (the manufacturer) has said his new tricycle gear Merlin shows cruise of 100 to 105.  The Merlin will be a great plane to fly.  Enjoy.    

Posted

I took my flight training in a Merlin GT in 92 with a guy from Port Angeles, Washington. We flew that thing all over the country. The only thing I really remember about it was it was a handful on landing. It ruined me from flying a tail plane for years.

Vance