Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Almost There...

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Way to go Randy!!  You never know what the result of a project like this will be, but it looks like the parts came together pretty good!  It does sound like the ASI is a bit optimistic, or maybe the Never exceed speed is going to have to be watched. 

We'll work on refining things after the holidays.  It sure is a good feeling to have it fly so well.  Great Christmas present.

Thanks for being the test pilot Randy.

Jack

1 person likes this

Posted

What a rush and NO squawks, woohoo! That is simply one of the best looking Avid/KFs around IMO and I'm sure you and Randy will be eating up many Alaskan A+ moments in the years to come. More proof there is light at the end of the tunnel!

1 person likes this

Posted

Doug,

There were some squawks, not on how the plane flew, but with the EFIS.  Most have since been fixed by getting compatible sending units and deleting unneeded info from the set-up.  By having redundant instrumentation the flight was able to be carried out.  Sometimes you have to wonder if the old steam guages aren't the simplist way to go.  Thanks for the comments though.

Jack

1 person likes this

Posted

Jack,

The plane looks awesome!!!

Which EFIS are you using?

Posted

Ron,

The EFIS is have is the MGL Mini Extreme.  It's a very complete instrument, capable of providing information relating to your engine and flight way beyond my capability to fully understand all that I'm seeing.  Matt at MGL is one very helpful guy, and has been there for me every time I ran into something I didn't understand.  The thing I didn't do during the install was to carefully read and understand exactly what the paperwork was attempting to tell me.  I think I was overwhelmed by the sheer volumn of it, and as a result caused myself some problems.  When I used the recommended sending units, things worked like they were supposed to. Mixing senders from the engine manufacturer or ordered from Spruce don't always work.

I think, in my case, learning where to look on the instrument for the desired information is one of the challenges I've got to overcome.  I'm sure time will fix that.  

Jack