Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Merlin GT

43 posts in this topic

Posted

You can maintain the O-200, but if you do then it loses it's 'certified' status.  For the Phase I requirements, it is then just like any other experimental engine and will require 40 hours of Phase I testing.

Mark

Posted (edited)

I wonder about that prop strike - was the engine running?  did it stop the engine?

Disregarding the prop strike (an unknown condition):  As long as all AD's are complied with, and only certified parts and maintenance are applied to the 0-200, it can be kept in the certified group, and sold as such.  You can still do oil changes, replace plugs, etc.  Otherwise, you lose that if you treat it as "experimental", which probably would include not using a certified prop approved for that engine.

That is what I understand - I always accept differing opinions.  Someone said that you could go experimental and later make it certified again as long as you kept an engine log and updated it with all ADs, but I am a little skeptical that would work all the time.

EDMO

I found this in my letters from Joe Norris at the EAA:  FAA Form 8000-38 Fabrication/Assembly Operation Checklist.

FAA Order 8130.2?= 285 pages, and change 2 is 104 pages.  This has a chapter on experimental aircraft and the suggested new Operating Limitations start at paragraph 134.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'd say a 225+ pound O200 is going to be a VERY heavy engine for that airplane.

Wasn't the Merlin designed for a 503 or 582 Rotax (65-75 pounds)?

Posted (edited)

The Merlin has almost double the wing area of the Avids at about 225 sf, about equal to a J3 Cub.  The 912 is one of the engines used in the kits.   The 0-200 may have already been used in them, or maybe in this one.

If he uses the 8A, without starter and generator, it should come in about 180 lbs.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I did some searching for the 8000-38 form, but the closest I could come up with is this:

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/AmBuiltFabAssyCklistFW.pdf

I also found this page on the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/181636

I'm not sure why it says cancelled in parenthesis.

Also, here is the page that the above form was linked from:

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/

Edited by Luked

Posted (edited)

Luke,  I think the first you listed is the Checklist - I didn't go there yet.

OK, I went there, and it looks like the list I have - this is 2011 version - don't know if there is a newer one, but surely this one will work.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for posting the Checklist for Scratchbuilt Luke - I printed out a better copy than the one I cant find.

EDMO

Posted

No problem. I'll be taking a look at this myself to see how things will add up on my project.

Posted (edited)

The Merlin fuselage is about 2 feet longer than the AVID plus.  My jaw about hit the ground when I say the wing depth.  They make the wing on my previous avid look like sticks. The 912 is a common engine for the Merlin.  Randy flys a Subaru in his AVID plus.  I don't forsee any issues with a 0-200.   One issue I am looking at is being able to run 87 octane.  The 0-200 needs some modifications to top dead clearance to make that happen.  I also want to change the landing gear.  The original gear looks puny on this Merlin.  I am going to probably fab large gear with an additional connection point on each side of fuselage.

Edited by AVID STOL HH
1 person likes this

Posted

I think the Peterson STC allows use of 87 octane depending on the engine model.  The EAA STC requires 91 or new pistons.. I think.  :lol:

I think the GT with the 0200 and a climb prop is going to be a GREAT bird!  It has been awhile since I saw the one that was at Soldotna, but I didnt remember it being bigger than the Fat Avid.. Thats way cool and should give you lots of room with no issues on balance other than you may have to put the battery in the tail.  Randy should be able to hook you up with the guy that built his gear, its nice and stout and the extended gear looks much better than the short stubby gear they come with!

:BC:

Posted

Jeff - the two seat cushions are in my garage gathering dust so you are welcome to them. I don't have the seatbelts or even remember what happened to them.

Posted

I think the Peterson STC allows use of 87 octane depending on the engine model.  The EAA STC requires 91 or new pistons.. I think.  :lol:

I think the GT with the 0200 and a climb prop is going to be a GREAT bird!  It has been awhile since I saw the one that was at Soldotna, but I didnt remember it being bigger than the Fat Avid.. Thats way cool and should give you lots of room with no issues on balance other than you may have to put the battery in the tail.  Randy should be able to hook you up with the guy that built his gear, its nice and stout and the extended gear looks much better than the short stubby gear they come with!

:BC:

We measured the Merlin from front of cowling to rear of VS at the rudder hinge point.  The Merlin is 18' and the Avid+ is 16'-8" so the merlin is about 1'-4" longer.  We didn't measure the rudder so don't know the OA length difference but it does appear that the 0200 should work since the weight is similar to the EA81. 

I know that guy who built my gear. LOL.  I built a jig first then spent a lot of time cutting and hand fitting the tubing with a rotary tool and carbide cutters.  Probaly better and faster ways to cut and fit tubing but I got better as I went and pretty soon was able to cut and fit without wasting many pieces.  the advantage I had was my buddy is a heck of a tig welder and he did the welding.  It still took us a year to get it done as we could only work on it a couple of hours here and there, nights and weekends, as he was available.  Since I was in the build process on my plane it didn't hold me up and we had it done by the time I was ready to start painting things.

If you are a good welder or know someone who can weld, it is a good way to go to get exactly what you want.  I thought about doing it with a Mig; something I can do, but since I had the Tig option available, I thought that was the best way to go.

Posted (edited)

With that big wing, if you can build it light, it should get off and land as slowly and gently as the old Cub, or outclimb most everything flying with that 0-200 pulling it.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey Chuck,

Can you bring the seat cushions to the EAA meeting with you?

Thanks

Jeff

Posted

Hi Chuck,

Jeff here.  Can you bring the seat cover for the Merlin to the EAA meeting.  Randy will be there to get it.  I cannot make it.

Thanks

Posted

Hi Jeff,

I was searching around on google, and ran across this:

http://crufc.ca/classifieds/macair-merlin/

Made me think of your project since it's got an O-200. Looks like an old ad, but thought it was still interesting.

Luke D.

Posted

Wow,  that is a great setup.  Hope I get mine together soon.  I have got to do something about that landing gear.  Its to small.

Thanks

Posted

Wow,  that is a great setup.  Hope I get mine together soon.  I have got to do something about that landing gear.  Its to small.

Thanks

Iv2ply have you any updates on your Merlin project. I have one and need landing gear for it also. I could use some good advise on what direction to go with it. I see some neat looking custom built gear for avids and kitfox aircraft on here but can’t find any contact information on them to see if they could build one for my Merlin.