Hello from Dale S in SW Mo

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone.  I'm Dale from SW Mo, near Joplin.  Just purchased an Avid Flyer model B (I think) with HH wings, rotax 582 gray head.  Plane had sat for a spell and sold by widow of previous owner.  We got it annualed and in the air last week.  Flys fair.  More work to do.  Brakes don't, cooling barely does, nose wheel strut is bent some.  But it flys, engine seems strong.  Have a little more work to do to take it to a good airplane.  I appreciate this site, it looks like you guys have already fought the battles and figured a bunch of things out.  Thanks for letting me join.

Posted

Welcome!

Posted (edited)

double that Welcome - always glad to hear of another in Mizry with our type of plane - and we nose-wheelers are in the minority.

EdMO - Arnold, 25 mi South of St.Louis.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Welcome x3.   :BC:

Posted

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've surfed around in here for a bit. You're completely right that a lot of the guys on here have gone through, and figured out a lot of the issues you might have. Good group here, stick around and you'll end up one of the family, at least that's how I feel.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome.  Found a little more history on the plane.  The free castering nose gear has been bent at least twice.  The first time the previous owner lost the prop. (I was wondering about the shiny prop on the dusty plane thing).  Then I  bent the nose the other day, enough that the  wheel caster was scrapping the ground.  It happened when trying to taxi the plane from grass to a runway that was up  a couple of inches.  Found a friendly machine guy with big press that put it back in shape, mostly.

It is straight enough to fly again for now.  No idea how much strength (spring) was lost in the repairs.  

I was attracted to the plane partially due to the tricycle gear, and didn't think much of the non-avid free caster nose gear currently in place.  Kitfox has a simular part but   the price was out of reach anyway. 

So we are looking to replace the gear, maybe with a stearable nose gear? 

Or, I may just convert it to a tail dragger.  The tail wheel is in a box of parts somewhere.  

But, I'm very low time, about 50 hours total, and only a few in the avid.  Plus I'm over 60 years old. Which means there will likely  be a ground dance in my future.  :flush:

Oh well.  Thinking it through: These planes are meant to fly from grass.  There are great grass strips all over the place.  Current nose gear hate grass with bumps.  So at some point, nose gear has to go to the back.

Someone told me about dragging instruction available in Lamar Mo, (close enough).  So I will fly the avid as is for a while, then get trained (insert graphic of light in tunnel attached to a Union Pacific thing). 

Well, maybe we will live happily ever after.  After the brakes start braking, and the cooling starts cooling. 

My wife and I named the plane Patches after we got done patching the holes in the wings and fuse.  May be we will rename her Drag Queen at some point.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

-Dale

Posted

Welcome Dale! Love your sense of Humor! Avids are great airplanes! They do require a good sense of humor, patience, and a willingness to tinker😃. You'll be rewarded with a big smile on your face and feeling like a 10 yr old kid on a dirt bike once you make friends with it & learn how it wants to be played with!

Posted

Welcome Dale! Love your sense of Humor! Avids are great airplanes! They do require a good sense of humor, patience, and a willingness to tinker😃. You'll be rewarded with a big smile on your face and feeling like a 10 yr old kid on a dirt bike once you make friends with it & learn how it wants to be played with!

Posted (edited)

Dale,

What kind of brakes do you have?  That has been a big issue here for some and has been cussed and discussed a lot.  Some have changed from cable to hydraulic brakes, and others with hydraulic brakes have cured their problems by using the pedals that Mikesk designed.

For now, or when your brakes are better, try holding the stick back and tail down with a little power while taxiing and keep more weight off of the nose.   There was a spring-loaded nose gear for the Avid steerable gear, and for the Challenger, that could run over a 2x4, but it is hard to find one as they are no longer made. I have one.

ChrisB is probably the nose gear "expert" on here, and he had one at one time.  He's building a new gear.

Whatever issues you have, some of this group has "been there and done that", so please share with us.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks everyone.

The brakes are some version of matco, and the nose gear may be from a challenger (how did you know Ed?).   The plane flew an hour yesterday, and didnot overheat.  We went through the brakes and they are somewhat better, but not great.  I did read some of the brake advertures here, so maybe there are some ideas that can help. 

I'll try to take some pictures next time I'm with the plane, which will be next week, wed or thursday.  An avid owner told me that avid had a stearable nose wheel for the plane if I can find one.  Anyway,  it flies.  The engine is strong.  So i"m happy.  

I'm hoping to drive to airventure for a couple of days.  Maybe some from this group will be there?  Love to meet some of you.

Thanks,  Dale

Posted (edited)

Dale,

Several of the guys are camping at Osh - contact them on here with a new post in the General section.

Check your fuselage for a round fitting in the bottom center near the pedals - That is not on all Avids - but can be added - someone on here may have the fittings or drawings.   ChrisB made his own steerable nose gear - he posted photos on here.

The matco brakes seem to be OK if you replace your pedals - there is also a reducer kit available which changes the 5/8 bore on some mastercylinders to 1/2 inch and seems to help some, but more important is the geometry / ratio of pedal to MCs, and stiffness of pedals.

Photos are always good to post on here.

Sorry I wont be one of the Osh crowd with you.

EDMO

P.S.  If you have the spring-loaded nose wheel, be sure and remove the upper attach bolt and check the upper and lower tubes for rust - I know of two that have failed in that area.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed for the heads up.  I'll look for Chris's photos.  Thankfully there is no rust on the current nose gear.

Do you need a lousy T shirt from Osh? :)

Posted

Dale,

Thanks for the T-shirt offer, but in my old age I have gotten paranoid about getting skin cancer again, so long sleeves and cap are the uniform of the day.   Hope you have a nice time meeting the guys at Osh.  Go to Matco site and find the info on Geometry of Brake pedals and MCs - good info.

EdMO