Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Axle size

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I just bought an Avid MKIV HH with an Airdale stretch. It came with a nose wheel and main landing gear. I am having Brett at Airdale build a bush landing gear. The question is has anyone bent a 3/4" axle? I had a J-3 cub and it had 1-1/4" axles. Should I stick with the 3/4" size? I don't want to buy new wheels or brakes. Has anyone actualy seen a bent 3/4" axle?

Thanks,

Posted

I did once, but I tore the gear off at the same time.  It only slightly bent the axel and I straightened it back out.   I would stick with the 3/4" if it was me.  Just my 2 cents worth...  Jim Chuk

Posted

The 3/4 axles that I have are solid bars - I think some were tubing originally - seems like Leni went from tubing to solid or thicker after bending his.

I agree with Jim - when things get that rough, something is going to bend - You just have to decide where you want the bend to be -

I would rather replace an axle than a gear, or a longeron, as so many have done.

EDMO

Posted

I have bent a few sets, but that is probable due to the tires I run and the places I go.  If your landing grass or pavement or dirt strips I dont see you having any issues with the 3/4" axles (heavy wall 4130 tubing).  The solid axles didnt last as long as a popcorn fart in a whirl wind... If / When I ever rebuild or make new gear, I will probably go with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" axles so I can grab a tire off damn near any cub guy in the area in the event that I break a wheel or something and need to borrow one in a pinch at some remote location. 

:BC: