Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WTB: MkIV

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, 

Well after kicking the tires for a few years I have finally convinced my wife to let me get a small plane and licence.  I am a true "newbie" with zero hours.

I am looking for a simple, well built MKIV (or equivalent) with a rotax 582 (I know 2-stroke motors pretty well and I can't afford a 912).

I live in Southwestern Ontario (about an hour from Buffalo), so anything within 8-10 hour drive would be ideal, but willing to go a little further for the right plane.  I have been trolling on Barnstormers, but if any pending plane sales are out there, let me know.

The plane must be registered and currently flying.

john

Posted

Welcome and all the best in your search! Avids are great planes. Also Consider similar Kitfoxes as for all practical considerations they are the same plane.

On the Avids i would recommend the Under camber wing for its low stall speed, although many love the speed wing for its faster cruise.

I would also recommend that you try to locate a plane (Avid or kitfox) whose airframe is capable of supporting both Tail wheel and Tricycle configurations. Should you ever want to change from what you buy initially to the other. Reason is some don't like TW after they get a taste and want trike. Others have trike and want to convert to TW. With the right airframe you can do either.

ChrisB

1 person likes this

Posted

John,

I think the closest to you would be our Doug Holly on here - He lives in outstate New York and has several planes, and is usually well informed about what is on the market in your area.   Maybe you can contact him on here after he gets back from Oshkosh.

I agree with what ChrisB wrote above.

EDMO

Posted

Not wanting to put a damper on your plans, but if you don't have any hours, I would suggest you start getting some flight lessons, even just a couple perhaps, to make sure you really want to do this.  While I can't imagine anyone not wanting to fly, :-) some  realize it's not for them once they get into it.  As far as Avids verses Kitfoxes, the Kitfox 2 has a gross weight of 950, the kitfox 3 is 1050, and the Avid MK IV heavy hauler is at 1150.  Avids have 2' less wingspan, so they take a bit more distance to get off the ground, but are slightly faster than the Kitfoxs. (with same engine, ect.)   If you get into a Kitfox 4, that has a different wing profile and is probably a better all around plane then the earlier Kitfoxes and Avids, but you will pay more for it as well.  Get a bit of flight time, and then if you still want to, follow your dream!  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Again,  I agree with both Jim and Chris - but, let me add:  You may want your first flight time to be in a nose-dragger.  You have enough learning to do without fighting a ground-looping tail-dragger.   No need to stub your toe while banging your head!  :lol:

Then, when you get old and tired of fighting the tailwheels, you can convert back to nose-dragger and relax on landings!

Oh, but I am so glad I got that old!  Ha!

EDMO 

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the input with respect to flight time and tail draggers. I have the good fortune of having an experienced pilot friend with a Rans courier tail dragger and he has provided lots of informal training. I'm not suggesting that I am ready for this, far from it, but I have a good hands on pilot to co-pilot with me long after my for Al training has finished.

It's very likely that I will start training in a local tricycle gear and move to my own plane when I have more skills and confidence. My objective at this point is to acquire the plane that I will ultimately fly so that a component of my training can be in my own plane.

john

Posted

The question of Avid vs Kitfox is not a big deal for me, but the cost of a decent KFIV is definitely beyond what my wife will tolerate. I think the MKIV is a nice balance of cost and functionality. As always, if the wife isn't happy, it doesn't matter how good a deal it is, nobody will win..

John

Posted

Sounds like you know you like it, so I say go for it.  You know how it is, everyone looks up at the sky and wishes they could be up there, but some find out that they aren't really cut out for it once they do it a bit.  I had a guy who flew with me a lot in my Avids and probably got about 30 -35 hrs flying the plane before his first "official" lesson.  He landed the plane on the first flight with the CFI.   He got his license in  a 172 and has since got his tailwheel endorsement and is now part owner in an Aeronca Chief..  I would say he is "hooked"  sounds like you might be in a similar situation.  Chase those dreams while you can!   If I see something worth getting, I'll pass it on.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I say start in a taildragger and don't even get in a nose dragger. If you are nimble on the feet you won't have a problem. Take the cam off the tailwheel so it can't caster. This makes a world of difference in a MK4. Get some good lessons though. If you start in something a little more docile but still a taildragger you won't be totally shocked when you get into an Avid. 

Posted

I fully expect it to be a very long road before I can solo, and that's just fine. It's all part of the process and the fun. I would appreciate it if you guys keep your eyes open if something comes available.

Posted

I second the tail dragger training.  I did all my initial training in a TD and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.  If you start in a nose dragger cessna, then you get into the Avid or KF, it will be starting over at ground zero for the most part.  As you know, 90% of the cost of getting your ticket will be in aircraft rental.  You are money ahead to buy your own plane then learn to fly in it.  Paying a good instructor is a lot cheaper than renting the plane and instructor and you will be way ahead on several levels by doing it in your own plane.  The planes hold value pretty well, so unless you wad it up, if you decide its not your bag, you can get most if not all your money back out of the plane.

:BC:

Posted

Being in Canada requires an advanced ultralight pilot licence for an Avid. This is a whole lot less expensive than a private or recreational class license. You should be able to line up ultralight(up to 1234 lbs. gross) training pretty reasonably here in Canada. Many good schools for around $110-120 per hour. They say you can earn the license in about 20 hours. You don't really know how to fly after that but it's a start. Check on upac site for flight schools and get at it! There is no time like the present! B

Posted

Being in Canada requires an advanced ultralight pilot licence for an Avid. This is a whole lot less expensive than a private or recreational class license. You should be able to line up ultralight(up to 1234 lbs. gross) training pretty reasonably here in Canada. Many good schools for around $110-120 per hour. They say you can earn the license in about 20 hours. You don't really know how to fly after that but it's a start. Check on upac site for flight schools and get at it! There is no time like the present! B

The short "official training program" is why I want to buy the plane before I take the lessons.  It can only help if my training is in the plane that I will ultimately be flying.  It seems crazy to me that after 20 hrs of total air time, they let you loose with license in hand!!  A friend of mine has a Rans Courier TD, so I can get lots of "unofficial" training between lessons and lots of co-pilot time before I really fly solo.  I can likely save a few bucks in lesson cost in my own plane, but I don't really care about that....i just want as much seat time as possibe in the plane I will fly.

1 person likes this