Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Painting the cargo bay

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm wondering how you are supposed to paint the cargo bay, inside the fuse without painting everything else...tubing, control arms etc.

Do you roll it on?

Even if you masked everything off, it would be very difficult to get a spray gun into all the tight spots.

Suggestions?

This is an old pic, so now those wrinkles have been ironed the out...

post-545-0-29543300-1407041386_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-52234700-1407041435_thumb.jpg

Posted

easy don't mask anything and just paint it all the same color its not really seen anyways. some people don't even paint the fabric on the inside of the cargo bay just the tubing and controls before the fabric is even on.

Posted

Thanks, that's what I will do!

Thanks again,

Ron

Posted

Well, I decided to paint the inside of the cargo bay anyway. Luckily I had the fuselage on a rotisserie so I flipped it upside down and got into it from underneath. It turned out smooth and shiny.

The part behind the seats was tough because all of the crossing tubes, so I used a small foam roller. It turned out rough because the foam roller introduced a lot of air bubbles, but at least it is all one color!

Ron

post-545-0-97068000-1417320021_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96724600-1417320076_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Ron,

There was an article written about following the roller with a foam brush to smooth the bubbles - But I imagine there would be more paint on my arms and elbows than on the cargo bay. Looks like a storage tube behind it?

EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

looks great, no one is ever going to notice a little "texture" in the cargo bay anyways. keep up the good work

1 person likes this

Posted

Heck yeah its looking good.  I am liking the forward progress.  Maybe seeing your getting closer ChrisB will get fired up and get back to working on his :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I like it! If anyone complains about the paint, just ask to see the airplane they built!! I also noticed the tube in the tail. Looks like a sona tube? How'd you strap it up?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys...this is the most fun I've had yet! Big changes daily!

Can't take credit for the tube...the PO of the kit made that for fishing rods. I liked the idea so I left it there. It is a concrete form tube. It is tied in place and then he used some kind of resin to glue the rope in place. I made a plywood mount that will hold the front of the tube rigidly, then the normal canvas cover will still button over it if needed. I ditched the plywood wall (in the first pics), it was extra weight and made it damn near impossible to get to the battery and strobe pack.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Ron