Wanted a Rotax C redrive

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking at using a Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile engine in my Avid in Place of the 582 and would like to use a C redrive instead of the E that I currently have, unless someone can come up with a good reason that the E box will work.

Posted

The e box puts 12 more pounds as far out on the nose as you can get it.. I doubt that's what you want with the weber engine.. I would go C box if it was me.

:BC:

Posted

I am guessing that the redrive off of an upright 532 would not work?

EdMO

Posted

All except the last built 532s were provision 4 engines and used an A box.  It's basically the precursor to the B box and is the same size and shape as the B box.  Quickest way I know to tell them apart, is the A has nuts/studs  holding the front half to the back half, and the B has bolts.   Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Is the A box / B box reversible to mount the engine upside down like Avid?

Thanks for the info Jim.  I thought maybe they were specific to engine mounting.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The gearboxes can be mounted either up or down.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Looks like I will keep my eyes open for a C box, then consider selling the 582 and e box that I have now, the Yamaha puts out about 120hp at about the same weight as the 582, at least close enough I can get away with using it. I have always been just a little nervous about using the 2 stroke engine and I just picked up a 2006 Yamaha snowmobile with 6,000 miles for $3000 and 7,000 miles shocks and hyfaxes are shot, but the engine is still in perfect condition.

Posted

You will need to keep us informed on the conversion of the Yamaha engine to gearbox and installation in the aircraft!  OR ELSE!  :-)  Jim Chuk

Posted

Since I am a little slow on building, putting my wife through school on my Disability pension, I will send you to a place where this has been done and is working in various aircraft www.rotaryforum,com look at the genesis 120 engine thead, they have come up with 3 different ways to hook a PSRU to the engine and they are available from 80 hp to 150 hp so far there have been about 1000 hours put on at least one conversion, there is one adapter at $1000 for between the engine and the PSRU, The Yamaha engine is only single plug, but a separate coil for each plug, the first engine service other than oil changes is at 20,000 miles for a valve adjustment, though 150 hp is beyond what I need for my Avid, by holding it to about a 80hp range it should last longer,

I bought a snowmobile for $3000 and hope to be able to sell off things like the hood seats and suspension to cover the cost of the conversion, Around here snowmobile engines outlast most snowmobiles, not enough snow but people will spend the money to buy them and run them anytime there is any white on the ground and wear out the rest of the machine while the engine gets little if any wear.

Posted (edited)

OMG - may have to sell my Soob and buy a Yama!   Right now my problem is getting to the site you posted in blue - every time I clik on it, the puter sends me back to the AFF site???

Are you supposed to put the < and > before and after the site name?

Guess I will have to type it out and go there - I was on their list a long time ago.

What rpms does the Yama run at?

TRACKWELDER:  if you will post more about this engine, please start a thread in "4-strokes".

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I had the same trouble trying to go to that site.  On closer review, it looks like it might be a comma instead of a period just before the com.  Easy typing error to make.  I'll try typing it in.  Jim Chuk

PS  tried typing it and it worked. 

Posted

Very interesting. I've decided I have to go with a "bolt on" engine or I'll never finish this plane. Otherwise I would strongly consider something like this. I put a Subaru in our VW Vanagon, so I even considered that. I just know it would take longer than I think.

I think this is the thread for the Yamaha engine:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16100&highlight=genesis

Posted

Luke,

There is a geared redrive for a Soob EA-81 on ebay now for $1200 - Donno what kind or how good - mine is belt redrive.  I also have a spare Soob in storage with 31K miles on it.

EDMO

Posted

Hey Ed, I think you misunderstood... I'm going to go with an engine that you just bolt on and go  :lol: I'm already adding too much complication to this project  :P

Posted (edited)

Luke,

Maybe I missed the info on your engine:

Still trying to figure out if you are going with Stratus, Honda, Corvair, Mazda, VW, Cont / Lyc, Rotec or Rotax -

That's the only "bolt-in" engines I can think of, although there must be a few more.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

The current plan is to use a Continental C-85. Possibly without starter to save weight  :rolleyes:

Did anyone read the thread on www.rotaryforum.com? It seems like this engine could have some real potential. If you read the power to weight ratio on this engine, you might even re-think your Subaru Ed  :o  I'm always skeptical of any conversion engine that can approach the power to weight of a 912 since the 912 used pretty sophisticated engineering, and was purpose built from the ground up. The hours that have already been accumulated on this Yamaha in aircraft are pretty promising though.

Edited by Luked

Posted

Rotax has a 90 hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke that weighs only 119 lbs, I took a look and could not find the price for an engine, but the price of a jet ski with a closed loop cooling system was under $5000 but it does not have the hours in the air of the Yamaha.

I am not done but I have my engine, 2 people are building adapters for the engine to a redrive and all I am waiting for is money, I spent some of it on a lathe, but I am hoping to make a few dollars with some little pieces that people are wanting.

Posted

As far as the technology behind the Yamaha engine, it is the same engine used in the Yamaha Genesis Motorcycles with the transmission removed from the engine, up to 5 valves per cylinder and the engine turns at 11,000 rpm although it does have a primary redrive that drops the output to 8,000 rpm, since Yamaha is using this engine in almost all of their vehicles including boats and Arctic Cat Snowmobiles they have spared no expense at developing this thing, after 2006 they switched to fuel injection which I am glad I aam not working with for my first try, but with 140 hp on 4 cylinders I should be aok even if one cylinder quits flying. and if I hold the power use to 100hp I really shouldn't be straining the engine at all. I have now seen a helicopter using this engine if it holds up there it will hold up to my Avid.

Posted

Hey Trackwelder,

I kind of forgot about this. Some time after you started this thread, I talked to a Kitfox owner that has a friend with a KF powered by the Yamaha. I was surprised to learn there was one so close to me. I want to go check it out some time when I get a chance. He said the performance was impressive.

Luke D.

Posted

I have only seen pictures of a Just aircraft  with the Yamaha in it, If you get to look at it could you see about taking some pictures, Possibly a few measurements so I can try and figure out my engine mount, There are a few experimentals around me, but most farmers own their own runway and that's who has the planes, I wish I lived closer to people who built around me.