Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The good, the bad, and the ugly

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I got to spend the night out on the Matanuska River a couple of weekends ago...unplanned.post-75-0-03978500-1407570544_thumb.jpgThe Goodpost-75-0-84645100-1407570568_thumb.jpg  The Badpost-75-0-52339200-1407570586_thumb.jpg  The ugly.  Did you ever want to know what's inside Stretch Armstrong?

What I learned:  1. If you end up in a bad spot; shut down, get out and walk the plane through by hand if possible.  2. Keep emergency gear with you in your plane, your probably are not getting out the same day.  3. Have good buddies that fly and keep your contact list with you and a way to contact them.  (Leni, we need to get that going for our AFF group by local areas).  4. Keep a spare prop!  My Warp Drive has save me more than once now; it is well worth letting it collect dust in the hangar.  5.  Pray that God takes care of you as good as he has me.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

OUCH!  Looks like she be a bit sticky there!  One reason why I am leery of muddy rivers.  I have walked on some bars that looked solid gravel but it was just a sprinkling on top of the mud and mud knee deep under the pretty gravel layer.

Were your not able to get in touch with anyone using the Inreach SE ?? Or did you just not have the phone numbers with you? 

I too keep my survival pack in the plane at all times.  Not only do I need it stuffed back in the tail for W&B but its time like this that a nice tent and sleeping bag as well as many other goodies in the bag make the stay much more pleasant.

Glad you got out of there, and very happy to see that it was just the prop.  This sounds like a story to tell around a campfire some place!

:BC:

Posted

Glad to hear you made it out and it was only a one nighter,I better finish my survival pack

Posted

OUCH!  Looks like she be a bit sticky there!  One reason why I am leery of muddy rivers.  I have walked on some bars that looked solid gravel but it was just a sprinkling on top of the mud and mud knee deep under the pretty gravel layer.

Were your not able to get in touch with anyone using the Inreach SE ?? Or did you just not have the phone numbers with you? 

I too keep my survival pack in the plane at all times.  Not only do I need it stuffed back in the tail for W&B but its time like this that a nice tent and sleeping bag as well as many other goodies in the bag make the stay much more pleasant.

Glad you got out of there, and very happy to see that it was just the prop.  This sounds like a story to tell around a campfire some place!

:BC:

I still had cell service so that made it easier.  The buddy that came to my rescue was actually down at Kenai dipnetting at the time but had his plane there so he flew back in the morning and picked up my other prop and flew it out to me.  Another buddy I got ahold of didn't think he was in flying condition since it was around 10:00 Sat night.  You were about next on my list.  It all worked out good but a nervous night since I was right at water level.  Fortunately no real rain and was cool so the glacier didn't have a big melt or It would have made things a lot more difficult.  Maybe around a campfire I can tell you how stupid I felt. LOL

1 person likes this

Posted

If I was home you know I would have been headed your way in a heart beat!  Been there done that, you cant feel as stupid as I have at times!  I thought I had the market cornered on that one!  :lol:

Posted

Forgive my ignorance, but did it dig in and nose over? Is that what caused the damage?

Posted

Glad you made it out ok!