Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Axle Grease

13 posts in this topic

Posted

This is on my Avid Mark IV.  I have finished painting the main gear and will be assembling the axle, wheel and breaks.  What type of grease should be used on the axle bearings?  Is auto axle grease OK?.

Jon

Posted (edited)

Jon,

I think any good thick axle grease will do - I have heard some say to use the "high-temperature" grease for auto disk brakes, but don't think our aluminum wheels could get that hot.

Others have suggested the White Lithium grease "because it is waterproof" - I have never seen a grease that would dissolve in water.

I remember a red or cherry-colored grease at one time, but cant remember what it was for.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There are lots of boat trailers with twisted off axles that would counter the idea that grease does not dissolve in water…  

I use a synthetic automotive grease on my wheel bearings.  I repack mine in the spring every year when I take off my skis.  I have seen the start of milky, water contaminated, grease in mine from heavy snow ops, so it is possible.

Posted

I will almost bet that if Doug Holly reads this, he will quote the MIL-SPEC for the approved grease!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

No bet…   Hahaha!

1 person likes this

Posted

I use the same grease I use on car wheel bearings.  I am pulling the tires atleast 3 times a year to swap to floats and skis so they get repacked pretty often. 

:BC:

Posted

Ed - I've just been using my old bacon fat drippings... :dunno:

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed - I've just been using my old bacon fat drippings... :dunno:

I guess you dont have bears to contend with down there :lmao:  I bet it helps when you wrap one up though and have to overnight in the trees, you can just pull a tire and lick the ... ok, not gonna go there...   :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Doug,

I will bet that there is a MIL-SPEC for that bacon grease.   I  ate a lot of it in the Army! 

I'm sure it makes almost as good bear-bait as Salmon and pepper spray!  :lol:

EDMO

Posted

Thanks, I can always count on you flyers to have good input.

Thanks,

Jon

Posted

Well, on a more serious note, any lithium complex with a NLGI (National Lubrication Grease Institute) rating of EP / GC (extreme pressure / applicable for high temp wheel bearing applications with disc brakes) and #2 consistency (consistency of grease ranges from semi-fluid #0000 to solid #6) will likely do just fine. Always clean bearings of old grease when unsure of compatibility with new grease.

FWIW, the grease I use in my tractor mower spindle bearings (and all other lube points), along with my plane and trailer axle bearings is red MYSTIK #2 JT-6 Hi Temp. It meets the highest performance standard of ASTM D-4950 Automotive Grease Classification System and is NLGI certified GC-LB for dual-service (GC for wheel bearing service and LB for chassis service). It also had the highest published dropout point of any wheel bearing lube (550*F) and lowest water washout and bearing leakage ratings when I compared MSDS sheets a few years ago. It is non-soluable in water, contains anti-rust, anti-wear, extreme pressure, and antioxidant additives to hold up well under high heat and wet, corrosive conditions. Available in both tubes and tubs at my local Tractor Supply, Home Depot and WalMart stores.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the good info Doug,  I knew I had some red grease at one time, but was beginning to doubt its reality!

I knew you were just sitting on it and making us wait for the good stuff.

EDMO

Posted

I had a neighbor that was a truck driver and he thought Mystik was the only grease to use! He said he was driving and got caught in some flood waters on the road that came up to his axles at times. When he got home he pulled all of the wheels and took a look. Not only was the Mystik grease still there but it repelled the water too! Ever since he told me that I grease my Jeeps and my tractor (before I sold it) with Mystik.

So Doug I think you are spot on!

Ron