Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Regulator rectifier for Rotax 582

9 posts in this topic

Posted

If my understanding is correct I will have to replace my reg/rec when I replace the points ign 532 with the electronic ign 582. What is the best bang for the buck in doing this change? I'm looking at these key west reg/rec http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/keywestregulator.php does this sound good? 

Posted

I have a Key West.  Never had any issues and it will run without an external load without issue.  

Posted

Key west

Great people to do business with!!!!

Had a 5 yr old unit, noticed a higher charge rate, they sent a new unit

Add them to great people to deal with, warp drive( Daryl ),Grand Rapids insterments !!!!!

Posted

I believe the Key West (the blue regulator?) is a series as opposed to shunt regulator. I think it has better voltage regulation and cleaner less electrically noisy output than the Rotax shunt regulators. I am also pretty sure they do not require a load to regulate properly.

This is what I have heard and retained over the years as "fact". Not my own first hand knowledge. If someone knows different I would like to know.

Chris

Posted

Another vote for the KeyWest regulator, no question.

Posted

thanks for the input I just received my new keywest regulator in the mail. hope to get the 582 switched over this weekend. still waiting on my registration issues to be resolved with the FFA. grrr. 

Posted

Not sure what my issue is, but the ole 582 quit changing on me yesterday.  I replaced the starter as it decided to hang up on me.  I am hoping it got the regulator and not the coils... I wont be able to look into it further till I get back home from work in 2 weeks.

When I had issues with the FAA on my AW cert, it took them 3 months to get the inspector down to spend 5 minutes looking at my plane then handed me the pink slip.. that was only after I called the FSDO, got the gal in charge on the phone and told her I would be damned if I was going to let a perfectly good plane sit around not flying because they were too backed up to look at it and if they were not there within the week, I would just keep flying the plane with the "copy" of the original AW cert. and it would her fault that I was not an "outlaw"  :lol:  The inspector showed up at the house 3 days later and was awesome to work with!  I wish he had not retired..

:BC:

Posted

Leni I still have that regulator you sent me. Let me know if you need it back.

Posted

I will let you know what I find out when I get back home. I will probly go with another key west so it's plug n play with the mounting.