Kitfox Model IV-1050 w/912ULS

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Kitfox Model IV-1050, built in 1995, 357TTAF, Speedster tail with larger rudder and electric trim, Bush gear, brand new Rotax 912ULS 100HP engine, Ivoprop medium Quick-adjust prop, upgraded panel with Dynon EFIS and EMS, Garmin 695 GPS and dock, Composite Designs LSA Power Panel, Microair radio, no transponder. Asking $35,000, just spent $29,000 on engine and panel. Located in Alberta, Canada. Email rengler@live.ca, Cell (403)896-0551 (Randy)

IMG_1495_zps07fd8bb3.jpg IMG_1489_zpsd8d5506d.jpg IMG_1491_zps48ea36e7.jpg IMG_1492_zps1304de78.jpg IMG_1496_zpsae11cd39.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like a very nice machine. Are you leaving the flying business or just upgrading?

Posted

Looks like a very nice machine. Are you leaving the flying business or just upgrading?

I bought a bigger plane, the Kitfox is a bit short of space for camping gear. I bought this 1959 Piper PA-22/20 with a seaplane door, leading edge cuff and extended wings, it should be a decent bush plane. Won't be quite as economical to operate as the Kitfox, but if I take out the back seat it should be able to haul a lot of camping gear.

PA22-3_zps6e712531.jpg

Posted (edited)

What makes the difference between the KF 1050 and the 1200 GW?  I seem to remember that one Kitfox was limited to 1050 because it had the 503 engine.

Nice looking X-TriPacer

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, the differences between the 1050 and 1200 are subtle, but there are three major ones:

1 - Lift struts are 7/8" diameter on the 1050 and 1" on the 1200

2 - The tube between the lift strut attachments was increased in wall thickness (I don't remember the details)

3 - The rudder and vertical fin are 10" taller on the 1200 over the 1050.

The funny thing on the lift strut differences is the rod end bearings (adjustment at the wing) are the same on both and these are the weak link in that chain.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info - I really don't see how the brace tube between the struts could make any difference -  The data would be nice to have before I weld my new struts - what would be the reason for thicker walls on the brace tube???

I wonder what size  brace tubes are on the Magnum.  What size are Magnum struts?

Some struts don't even have a brace tube.   Some wings only have 1 strut - some have none!  I don't remember what the Taylorcraft had - been a while since I got up close to one.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

On a V-strut high wing airplane, the wing's lift tries to pull the vee closed.  There is usually a compression strut at or very near the strut attach points in the wing to keep that from happening.  It seems that the brace tube between the struts is being used to take that compression load.

Posted

Thanks for the info - I just got some larger, heavier wall tubing for the cross braces.

EdMO

Posted

I was referring to the tube across the bottom of the cabin which connects the two lower mounts for the lift struts.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Larry - guess I was reading it wrong.  I know which tube you were referring to now.  I have some heavy tubes at the bottom of fuselage in that area.

Somehow, I think from Ron, I also got the idea that there was another crosstube between the struts on the lower end.  My pictures of the Magnum are not clear enough, or from the right angle, to show this, and I have been trying to get clarification on that.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri