Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Powder Coating

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all from Tigerville USA,

I am interested in experiences with powder coating and if anyone has experienced any corrosion problems.

Can I say indefatigably that we have!!  :soapbox: We spent four days (6-8hrs/day) in sand blasting and repainting (with epoxy).

This is all after the frame had been garage kept during our own "Cob Web" period. Granted we do have our famous Louisiana humidity and heat but I hardly think we hold the franchise in this department.

Attached are some pictures of the corrosion before we sandblasted and repainted.

thanks

Keep 'Em  Flyin

669_1e7978e35b8a027c48f26d8bd0e7e3b11a8f

671_2148b4897c26f97532ff9ef63a7f55296f69

Posted

Powder coating, when done right is great stuff.  My fuse had rust showing through so I blasted it.  The original millscale was still on the tubes and they powder coated right over the top of it with no real prep what soever.  I was pissed as I tried to get that crap off.  90% of the fuse is now epoxy coated after a good prep, and proper anchor profile was established.

Posted

:o Wow, what a nightmare picture! I've seen (shot!) a lot of orange peel with paint but never seen anything like that with power coat. Man that's a crying shame and a LOT of extra work to fix, I know I'd be pissed! Ever converse with Airdale about this, I think they farmed out the powder coating?

Now you got me a bit nervous after seeing we both have the same gray powder coat! My manufacture date was Dec '06 and the original new england based owner took delivery and left the fuse sit in the crate outside alongside his garage. By the time I bot it nearly a year later, it had some rust in the over spray areas missed by the powdercoat, inside rudder cable guide tubes etc. and a few other spots as shown. Pretty minimal considering, I thought. Seems to be holding up ok since and I assume any similar powder coat problems here would have shown up by now. I would be curious if you know an epoxy paint code that matches the gray powder coat color?

673_237f41dd0bee800af1e177019e78d52817ce

Posted

Thanks for the replies.

In the movie "Liar Liar" Jim Carrey said " I'm gonna piss and moan like and impotent ass" well I guess that is what I wanted to do, just rant a little. I am, we are/were very frustrated by this. As to my knowledge we have yet to make any contact with Airdale about it.

As to the Gray Epoxy, no we do not but the one we are using is a close color, a little bit darker.

I am currently concerned about the application on the epoxy. We are using the hand and brush method which I am not altogether sure of. Any comments on this?

Keep you Flaps Down...

Posted

yep, that is how I did mine.  No issues with it as it flows out and seals it up good.  you can look at the finished coating and tell if you missed a spot or if you need to hit an area again.  If you are really worried aboutit, you should be able to find or rent a holiday detector to assure a full coating was achived.

Posted

So what product are you guys using for primer and topcoat? Curious if it's a 1 or 2-part epoxy? Are retarders used for application of epoxy in high humidity environments to prevent blush?

Posted

I started out using the stits epoxy but ran out.  so I called the local A&P shop and they said for years they have used this stuff.  So I did and so far no issues.

It is a 2 part but not sure about additives for high humidity.

683_51aec89dd63f73345d7349054be97c7353c6

Posted

Hello All,

I am employed at DOW Chemical and a friend/corrusion engineer suggested this, sorry I do not have before me but will take a pic this evening and forward along, which is a two part epoxy @ a 1 to 4 ratio.

"Keep your Flaps Down"