Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Towing Avid

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

When towing a Avid on a open trailer Tail forward how high should the tail be off the deck of the trailer.

Or can I have the tail wheel on the deck.

The trip will be about 200 miles.

Thx Marv

Edited by 959

Posted

If the wings are fairly close to level, it will reduce the down pressure on the wings compared to the tail being low.  Also, it's hard on the tail spring to carry all that weight from the wings and such.  Better to support the plane on the trailer hitch attach point near the tail that's built into the plane. (cross tube)   I've pulled avids around 1500 miles without problems.  Best to have wing support tubes to keep the front part of the wing from flopping up and down as well.  Hoping for the best myself, as I'm about to drag a Kitfox 4 half way across the country.   Jim Chuk

Posted

Can you tell me a little more about the wing support tubes?

Thx

Posted

The wing support tubes connect to the little bracket on each side of the vertical stabilizer and to the strap on the wing strut fitting.

They are easy to make if you don't have them.

Another good thing is to somehow stabilize the flaperons by linking them together.

A couple of tubes or plywood boards padded with carpet are good for keeping the rudder from flopping around.  Of course, you should tie the control sticks too.

EdMO 

Posted (edited)

Thx for the info.

If you have a picture that would be helpful.

Marv

Edited by 959

Posted (edited)

Here are a couple of pics showing wing support braces and stuff.  Notice the black tubes coming from the wing down to the fuselage.  That keeps the wing from flopping up and down.  Tail is supported by two 1 1/2" angel iron pieces bolted to the trailer and the plane.  I don't think I  mentioned gust locks in my first reply, but you need them as well. I use 1x4 with foam rubber glued to them and long bolts on the end to clamp things together .   JIm Chuk

post-329-0-61551600-1409311833_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-85496300-1409311887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I never saw those front wing braces before - only the ones that go to the VS - are the front ones factory or home made?  Do they bolt to the fuselage strut fitting, or what?

Nice looking plane.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Those wing support tubes were from the factory.  The wing pin drops though a verticle tube on the top of the wing brace, and the bottom has a fork on it so it pins to a tang on the lift strut attach bracket on the fuselage.  Jim Chuk

PS  a guy could make up some braces with some 2"x2" wood. Put a 1' or 2' long 2x2 into the wing spar sticking out about 4".  Drill a 5/16" hole in the 2x2 for the wing pin to go through.  Then screw or bolt a longer 2x2 to the one coming out of the wing, and bolt it to the lift strut attach bracket on the fuselage. 

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

959- if you have one of the older airframes it will not have the tab welded on the lower end to bolt the front brace to. If this is he case you can have the tube go below the lift strut attach point and come back up just inside of the lift strut attach point and have a small tube welded on to the brace that points fore and aft that a bolt can go through. Hope this makes since. I will be down to the airport in the next couple days and try to get a picture of what I'm talking about. hopefully this drawing will make some since in the meantime  post-352-0-65548600-1409326917_thumb.png

Posted

Robert on my KF 1 & 2 there is an angle sticking down under the fuselage strut attach fitting - I could drill a hole in it and bolt the brace to it.

EDMO

Posted

Ed, That is where the brace is meant to be bolted, and where the float N strut would bolt to on the I and II.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thx for all the reply's

Marv