Issue putting KF wings on Avid

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Leni, that makes sense. He was a smart guy to realize who might end up building his planes. Guess I'll think on it a little more, but it helps a lot to get feedback from others.

Oh, and you may have just surpassed joey on the square rooter claim to fame hahahaha

Not sure this is a good thing...  :lol:

Posted

so you say you would like less washout that is nice to hear, so when I start on my wings what do you think I should set them at. I think I convinced myself to just use the kitfox 1 ribs that I have just the way they are. keep this one simple and light. I do think I am going to stop the wing at 144 inches keep that in mind.

Posted

From memory I think most of the KF/Avid wings called for 1.5" or 1.75" washout. Most people seem to think that .5" would be sufficient.

I would definitely use the stock early KF ribs that you have. In fact since you have a complete stock kit, I would probably just try not to change anything. This will speed things up a lot. With the changes I've made, I'm still in "backwards mode". It will be nice to get things back to the completion level they would have come in the kit so I can go back to moving forward.

Posted

i come very late in , but why not working on avid wings? how they wrong built?

Posted (edited)

i come very late in , but why not working on avid wings? how they wrong built?

Not that Avid wings are built wrong, but Kitfox wings are about 3 feet (almost 1 meter) longer span and give more lift and slower landings.  Kitfox is just an Avid clone for the first 3 models.  The later model 4 Classic was a heavier-built plane with a different wing rib.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

ok, i believe KF 123 are longer than avid and more tail surface. i dunno if so long wings are good with our little bird, specially with model ABC. I suspect more adverse yaw, inertia, and lower response in handling 

Posted (edited)

ok, i believe KF 123 are longer than avid and more tail surface. i dunno if so long wings are good with our little bird, specially with model ABC. I suspect more adverse yaw, inertia, and lower response in handling 

The men who fly back-country and high altitudes need a larger wing for more lift, shorter takeoff and slower landings.  The Kitfox wing helps.

EdMo

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Are Avid HH or STOL wings that hard to find?