9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Guys:

I just finished up installing a Tiny Tach on my avid, and the manual recomends 3 to 4 wraps around the #1 ignition cable; however, I ran a test, without prop inside of my garage, just to test it, and is giving me readings of 1400 up to 1900 rpm at idle, judging by the engine sound, there is no changes, I try 2 and even 1 and is not stable, I even tried it without wraps, and even though is more stable is still jumping.

any of you have a good advise of how, or what am I doing wrong? or this supposed to be like that??

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

You can put it around any spark plug wire you want.  They are all firing at the same rate, so that being the case I'd try another wire and position untill it works correctly.  I use a tiny tach with about 4 wraps with no issues.  It sounds like you are picking up interference from somewhere else.  

Posted

I wrap mine around two leads so I can test the ignition system and watch for RPM drop between the two.  A 500 RPM swing is pretty big, but without a prop on it I can see where you wouldn't really hear that much of a difference in it with no load on it.

:BC:

Posted

Thats a good idea Leni.  I think I'll go try it.

Posted

Thanks for the answer guys , but how can you wrap the cable around the two leads? I mean that cable is very small... are you connecting an extra cable to the original red cable??

can anybody take a close pic if possible to the installation?

I brought the wraps very close together and it got better, I mean, now shows 1200RPM while the 2 last digits are very active around 50rpm swing.

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Dimi, With no load the engine is going to fluctuate considerably. I've wrapped mine around one lead and have never had a problem with it. Good luck, Bryce

1 person likes this

Posted

I stripped back the outer sheath a bit to get more of the red wire sticking out.  it will work fine only wrapped around one plug wire, but then you cant do a mag drop check. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

On my Jabiru 2200 I found that 4 wraps spread over about 2 1/2" near the distributor worked best.

Posted

hmmmm... problem solved, actually my own mistake.... new to the tiny tach and did not pay attention. I bought it from this guys and I mean to click on the TT2A instead I ordered TT2B ----

http://stores.ebay.com/Outdoor-Concepts-Inc/Accessories-/_i.html?_fsub=3006615017&_sid=416911667&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

manual says it will work on 2 strokes 2 cylinder engines!!! anyway waiting for the other one to arrive...