Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flight Controls

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys ,would any of you's have a extra 3 1/2" length of the 1.375 x.049 tube for adding on to my control column, seem to have that too short thing happening here too. :dunno: I didn't have a caliper for measuring but I imagine it would be the same diameter as eveyone else .It came out of a heavy hauler C model. If someone has a piece they want to get rid of ,I would be happy to pay for it plus the shipping and handling.

Thanks Willis

Posted

Hi guys ,would any of you's have a extra 3 1/2" length of the 1.375 x.049 tube for adding on to my control column, seem to have that too short thing happening here too. :dunno: I didn't have a caliper for measuring but I imagine it would be the same diameter as eveyone else .It came out of a heavy hauler C model. If someone has a piece they want to get rid of ,I would be happy to pay for it plus the shipping and handling.

Thanks Willis

Willis,

I checked my scrap bin and couldn't find any tubing. It seems like I got mine from a local metal fabrication shop when I had the work done. Don't forget the small tube on the inside of the column. I had both done at the same time to ensure they were both lengthened the same amount.

Jack

Posted

Thanks for checking Jack,Unfortunately I live in a small town,I checked around with no luck,I'll phone aircraft spruce and see if they handle it.On a side note ,would you happen to have a picture of your bungee cord set up. I'm wondering if the previous owner allowed enough room for all the bungee wraps needed to pass threw the fabric but I don't want to widen the hole if it's not needed. :fishing:

Thanks again for any help

Posted

Thanks for checking Jack,Unfortunately I live in a small town,I checked around with no luck,I'll phone aircraft spruce and see if they handle it.On a side note ,would you happen to have a picture of your bungee cord set up. I'm wondering if the previous owner allowed enough room for all the bungee wraps needed to pass threw the fabric but I don't want to widen the hole if it's not needed. :fishing:

Thanks again for any help

Willis,

I haven't cut the final holes through the fabric or belly pan yet. Just open it up enough to allow the ends with the clamp through so you can do the install & if needed you can open it up a bit more with a razor blade. You want it to be a pretty tight fit, so you keep out as much exhaust as possible, but not so tight that the cords might be chafed. Also try to figure out a way to seal the opening with some kind of flexible material after the install is done to keep the hole sealed as good as you can. Randy uses some kind of material that looks like that stuff people use on the back of their trucks to keep rocks from hitting their trailer, the hairy looking stuff, it seems to work pretty good. If anyone has a successful way of sealing the bungie cut-out I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. I was thinking about just using some soft rubber to cover the front side of the bungie that would be fastened to the aluminum belly-pan. Maybe glue in something behind the gear to seal the back side. I hope my thoughts help.

Jack

Posted

Willis- sorry, nothing here either as I haven't got around to it yet. :P One note though, if you are going to 'sleeve' it, I think you might need a larger i.d. (see post #18 in this thread). Wicks was the only source for the larger i.d. tubing back then, ACS did not have it.