Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WING ATTACH TUBES LENGTH???

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can someone with a micrometer or calipers give me the total length of the little vertical wing bolt attach tubes on the fuselage? 

I have to shorten mine to get them into the spar.

A measurement of the inside of the spar inserts where the bolt goes thru would also be helpful.

My distance inside of the spar attach inserts measures 2.140 inches at the root end of the inserts.

Are these tubes a snug fit into the spars, or a loose fit?  Seems like on my old planes, these were loose fits.

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey Ed, my digital calipers are at work, but I measured with my cheap sliding (no dial) calipers. They look like they are right at 2.125. This is the tubes on the fuselage. The previous builder did have wings mounted at one point. Not sure if that helps. I can't measure the inside of the spars because the wings are at the airport too.

Posted

Thanks Luke,

Had already decided to cut mine to that length if no one gave a different answer.  That's good enough for me.

EDMO

Posted

Hi Ed,  I typed this once already, and didn't post it the first time.  I didn't look at the manual to see if they said anything on it, but I believe these tubes were meant to be trimmed to fit on factory kits.  Depending on what thickness metal you use for the doublers in the spars and the wall thickness on the spars themselves, someone else's measurements might not help you at all.  I would say tighter is better than loose, and if you start out with something like 1/32" play, you can always go bigger if need be, but it's hard to back up if it's to loose.  Once the bolt is in the back wing attach point, it's not going anywhere anyway.  Then all you need to worry about is the front when you are unfolding the wings.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim,

I made the cabin top here when my wings were in Alaska - Since I knew the spar diameter and thickness of the inserts, I used 2.250 tube length and planned to shorten them when I had the wings here.   The 2.125 figure should just be a good slip fit in my wings.

The tubes are all real close to 5/16 inch above the crosstubes, so all I have to do is shorten the bottoms of the tubes to fit.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri