Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Meco Midget Torch

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have any opinion about oxy acetylene setups for welding chromoly tubing? I'm just about ready to order the Meco Midget after reading about so many homebuilders using it to build planes. Here is a link:

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php

I've been borrowing my brother's full size setup, and it's kind of a pain when doing detail stuff on thin wall tubing. I'm thinking of buying some tanks locally, and getting the torch, hoses and regulators from tinman. A lot of people seem to think this is the best setup for this kind of work. Well, I guess TIG would be the best, but it's a little out of my budget  :P

Posted

If you are sourcing the tanks local, why not give that same welding supplier a chance on the regulators, hoses, torches and tips as well?  They may even have a small portable set that will suite you as well or better.

If you buy local (even at more cost) you will be far more likely to get tech help from them if/when you need it.

(I'm a fan of buying local when ever possible.)

Posted

My FAA repair station welder uses Propane instead of acetalene - says it is cheaper - However, unless you know how to use LP, then stay with acetalene (sp?)

Chrysler used LP in their assembly line torches, both for welding and for body solder.

EDMO

Posted

I agree Larry about buying local. I guess I should get my regulators there. The other stuff, they don't deal with. I talked to them a while back about it. I guess it's too specialized for them. They didn't even say it was something they could order in.

Interesting idea Ed. Might have to learn how to weld again though. Wonder if there is any advantage aside from cost.

One more question for everyone. I'm planning to put check valves and flame arrestors on my setup. There doesn't seem to be any consensus from what I've read as to where the best place for them is. I'm thinking of putting check valves on the torch, and the arrestors on the regulators.

Posted

Luke,

I don't know much about welding - been thru 3 welding courses, and they never talked about LP.  I'm a life-long machinist and toolmaker - Doctors told me if I didn't quit welding that I would probably lose my other kidney to cancer - I now hire a welder.

EDMO

Posted

I like the idea of buying local also, but some times it's hard to beat or even come close to prices on line for things.  Last winter I bought a new Uniweld model 71 welding torch body off of Amazon.com.  Regular retail was probably about $150.  Seen them on ebay and Amazon for about $110.  free shipping.  Next time I looked on Amazon, it was $79 with free shipping.  Bought it plus tips then.  Hard to pass up that good of a deal.  Ended up getting 10' long super soft flexable hose from TM technologies ($45 plus ship) but now I have a nice light torch for light gas welding.  Now if I just had the skill needed to use it.  I had the regulators and tanks and such already.  I think the meco torch needs lower pressure regulators than a standard torch.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Luked,

I have a Smith mini torch that I use the Mico tips on. Tips are excellent quality and Tinmantech has excellent service and help. I bought the Smith Portable torch kit

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:X:23-1010P

It's a great size for me. The Mico tips are better than Smiths but are a different thread, so I ran the correct die on the copper tip holder. This was the most cost affective way to get started. I would buy the Micco unit now because I think it's easier-more maneuverable to use. Tinmantech has some great videos on YouTube. Good luck, Bryce

Posted

Thanks guys. I think I'll call them tomorrow to see about the regulators needed for the Meco.