Looking for information on Kitfox wheel hubs

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a Miller synchrowave, that I am always looking for an excuse to break out and weld with, I am not always stack of dimes pretty, but I am getting there, My lathe is supposed to be here in 2 more days, hopefully I remembered to grab all of the tooling I will need.

Posted (edited)

I did what FoxDB suggested and agree with modifying off the shelf products versus starting from scratch unless using the lathe is the motive.

I needed more powerful brakes for 29" bushwheels than the original Kitfox brakes had to offer.

I took the Matco A3A axles which are 1-1/4" OD and drilled them out with a 3/4" drill bit on a lathe.

Then slid the bored out axles over the 3/4" Kitfox axle (this axle does not have a flange for the caliper bracket)  and welded the Matco supplied plate to the gear leg.

I did the welding with the gear leg still attached to the airframe and it only took minutes to do.

The 3/4 axles are still supporting the weight of the airplane and the welded on plates serve as anti rotation and a place to bolt the bored out axle and caliper bracket to.

I also fly a model 2 that has the Kitfox supplied brakes where the caliper bolts to the wheel.

Removing that wheel requires unbolting the caliper from the wheel and removing the bearing adjustment nut to remove the wheel and hub.

These wheels are not readily available since they require the welded on lugs to bolt the caliper to.

My model 4 has been converted to newer style Matco brakes where the rotor is bolted to the hub.

Removing that wheel only requires removing 3 nuts and does not involve the brakes or bearings.

Matco wheels are readily available in several diameters and I use the 6" wheels for Bushwheels and the 8" for the Nanco's and only takes minutes to change depending on the mission.

This is the same brake system that is used on the Just Highlanders.

Herman 

Edited by herman pahls