Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cliff's plane pictures

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Mark,

Thanks.

Posted

Good for you and best wishes cliff. Seems we have many more week knee'd zoning/planning board members acquiescing to loudmouth neighbors in this area rather than supporting grassroots aviation, small biz development and tax growth. Good friend of mine had his long time home strip shut down a few years back, and I actually looked at purchasing another local private owned public use airport with the intent of developing co-op hangers and an RV park/campground. Plan also included T-hangers, RV and rental storage units with the intent that many renting hangers would buy seasonal RV sites. It would have brought much needed tax revenue and jobs to a town struggling to get by on very low tax receipts due to the areas agriculture and farm exemptions. Town is really hurting and the population has dropped so far the school district is set to merge with a neighboring town CSD. Dinosaur PB Chair is a lifelong resident who doesn't want to "change the character of the town". Really? Just crazy how some will opt to go down with the ship with little to no facts or objective reasoning on the subject of small airports.

Posted

All the neighbors but one was on board with us by the end of the meeting. Most had valid questions that myself, the state airport representative, or my Lawyer( who owns his own private strip 2.5 miles from Circle W) answered to there satisfaction. Most of there questions were very well thought out and were concerns to each individual. It looks like we are going to have a bunch of really nice people for our new neighbors. Everyone introduced themselves to us after the meeting and welcomed us to the neighbor hood .  America still has it's share of hard working , good citizens and in this area they are the majority. The only guy who had anything bad to say,  had a grudge with the previous owner. Even though he left before we could get to meet him personally he did make the comment that he wasn't  against what I wanted to do. I think he just wanted to get some stuff of his chest as to how he felt he had been wronged in the past. He had a legitimate gripe, it just had nothing to do with us or what we have planned for the property.

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad to hear it worked out Cliff.

Posted

Thanks, Paul

Posted

Awesome! Glad to hear it all worked in your favor. Hope it all works out well for you. :BC:

Posted

Thank you akflyer. Now the real work begins.

Posted

We sign on the dotted line at 5pm est on Thursday October 30th.  Many, many, things to  get figured out. Hopes and dreams, reality and debt. More than my brain can handle. Being guided from above helps with the worries.  Living the dream, but still dreaming.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a done deal. My wife and I are the owners of Circle W airport.

2 people like this

Posted

Awesome!!!

Now we need gps coordinates and a date for the party!

Posted

Congrats that's Awesome!!!! good luck with the business

Posted

Congrats!  Look forward to seeing progress pics of the place and future fly ins!

:BC:

Posted

Thanks everyone.  As soon as I learn how to post pictures I will start a progress thread. So far we have gutted the hangar in preparation for insulation , wall and ceiling finishing.  Penndot aviation dept came out and surveyed the runway. we need to cut some trees to keep the runway at it's current published length of 2200'.  It is about 3000' long but the trees create the need for displaced thresholds at each end.  Luckily My new neighbor is willing to allow me to trim his trees and several of the intruding trees are on my property. 

Posted

Mowed the runway for the first time. Not as bad as I thought it might be.

Posted

Wife and I made our first landing at our airport at sunset this evening. We were flying the 180. If I have time tomorrow I will bring the Avid in.

1 person likes this

Posted

I had some visitors today. Tom in his Zenieth 601, Linda in her Cessna 150, Bill in his Kolb, and I flew the Avid in for a short visit, Had to put it back at it's hangar at Lazy B because my hangar interior is being renovated. It was a perfect day for flying today, put .6 on the Avid, better than nothing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice, bet there is nothing better than landing at your own strip the first time! 

My 180 is looking sad.. Pulled the wings off her yesterday morning to start the strip / repaint process.  hoping to have her back in the air in a few months.

:BC:

Posted

akflyer,  It will be easier to paint your 180 with the wings off, you made the right choice. I always end up with a better finished product when I paint a plane piece by peice. All the extra work will be worth it in the end. 

Posted

that paint is shinny does anybody here know what it is.

Posted

Poly Fibers aerothane on the fuselage, poly tone on the wings. The yellow is PPG AUE-300 single stage polyurethane, very similar to Aerothane but less than half the price.

Posted

did you have to put a flex agent in the yellow then, It looks great. I have a ways to go before Im ready for the paint.

Posted

No. Flex agent is tempory when used in most modern paints. I have been told by a PPG rep that flex agents dry out in the first 90 days, leaving the paint brittle or only as flexible as paint with out flex agent. I did my own experiments after talking with a couple of tech reps at PPG. PPG makes a paint called desothane. It is specifically designed for fabric covered airplanes. The product is not available to anyone except companys that buy it in bulk and relable it and sell it for painting fabric covered airplanes. After some digging I was lead to believe that aue-300 and desothane are basically the same animal. I let some aue-300 dry in the bottom of a mixing cup and I let aerothane dry in the same size  mixing cup. When each sample hardened I popped out the hocky puck sized sample, labled them and stuck them on a shelf. Every once in a while I would pull the pucks down off the shelf and bend them and hold them against each other to see if one shrank more than the other or if one was more flexible than the other. After a 5 year test period I could find no difference between the two samples. Both were the same size and of the same flexibility. I am not a chemist and don't advocate or guarentee this paint to be crack proof for any one else. This was my findings and I have been happy with the results so far. It could crackup and fall apart after the 5 year mark but I am willing to take that chance.

Posted

thanks for the information